DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It should be obvious but in case there's that 1 person who goes "what years your truck" its a 2003 which is why im posting in 3rd gen. And im positive this doesnt make a difference but it is a 4.7L

not very happy with the headlights on my truck so rather than buying aftermarket headlights im looking to wire 2 of my off road lights to my high beam.

My current set up is 4 off road lights on the bumper all run to 1 switch. I am looking to have the 2 middle lights turn on with my high beams so i wired a relay to the 2 middle lights and put a diode on each light between where i spliced in the relay and the switch so the other 2 lights do not turn on. Now all im left with is figuring out which wire for the trigger. I tried using the high beam wire between the headlight module and the bulb itself but since i have DRL's the 2 lights are always coming on when i start the truck. So i need to find which wire behind the dash i can use, i tried to locate the wire that controls the highbeam led on the dash but was unsuccessful. I also tried to figure out which wire off the blinker/wiper switch comes active when the high beams are on but again was unsuccessful. Hoping someone can help me out and tell me which wire i need to splice into. I need a wire that is active only when high beams are on that are not part of the DRL's.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
give me a minute to figure this out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
give me a minute to figure this out
From your first post, i did try that, with daytime running lights the relay is always triggered when i start the truck and i dont want that so i need an alternative trigger wire. somewhere before the headlight module on my truck. i tried checking everything behind the dash but its very hard to connect a multimeter to every wire back there so i am now stuck...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
are you sure you have the high beam wire? I know its all controlled by the body control module but if the high beams are on, there shouldn't be a signal going to the low beams. And vice versa. Are you sure you didn't get a constant "signal" line to make sure the bulbs are working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you sure you have the high beam wire? I know its all controlled by the body control module but if the high beams are on, there shouldn't be a signal going to the low beams. And vice versa. Are you sure you didn't get a constant "signal" line to make sure the bulbs are working.
yes i am 100% positive its wired correctly. I have my switch run to an aux. power so i never leave the lights on by accident, then all 4 lights are run directly into the switch on the dash. i have installed diodes on the 2 middle lights near the switch so i dont get power going back through the switch and to the other 2 lights, then i have run a relay to the 2 middle lights and its set up like so:

30 - battery (+)
86 - battery (-)
87's - 2 middle lights
85 - signal wire

I tried connecting 85 to the wire off my high beam off the back of the bulb (between module and the bulb) and when i hit my high beams the lights do work, but problem is when i turn my lights off during the day, my DRL's come on which are run through the highbeam as well. its a low voltage 4 - 5v's but its enough to trigger the relay to turn on the lights everytime i start the truck so i need to find somewhere to connect the 85 pin that is controlled by my high beam (wire is live only when high beams are on) but has absolutely no flow when the high beams are off. Which is why i was trying to tap into the led indicator on the dash as the trigger for the relay. In the end what i am looking for is all of the lights off while driving, the 2 middle lights controlled by my highbeams, and all 4 lights still controlled by the switch on the dash. all i need is someone to help me out with finding which wire i can tap into as my signal wire for the relay. thanks!

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
it possible that I heard the lights, atleast from the switch are triggered off ground, Not sure at the headlights though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it possible that I heard the lights, atleast from the switch are triggered off ground, Not sure at the headlights though
Not sure on that one either. All i know is that my trucks got a module beside my fuse box that controls my headlights and since its a Canadian truck its set up to have DRL's, i went to the local dodge dealer in town but seeing as its illegal to disable them dodge, or any shop/dealer in town will not do this for me. I even tried to "im moving to the states and was wondering if you could.." and "well dodge said you guys could do this for me?" to no avail. If someone has a wiring schematic for the light switch to the speedo cluster, etc.. that would be great, or even better if someone could tell me which wire controls the LED high beam indicator on the dash. thanks!

·
Redtruck-VA
2,758 Posts
If i remember this right the multifunction switch is all 5vdc and grounds different resistance to turn on the optical horn, high beams and low beams on/off via the FCM. FCM then powers the IPM, you might be able to use a zener diode with a threshold higher than the modulated 5 vdc used for your DRL.Wire it as you did but with the zener inline to block the lower voltage. Good luck..

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
That or maybe use a resistor to lower the voltage until the relay doesn't come on anymore with the drl but should still work with the high beams

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yep, you're screwed.

Mine is exactly the same way with the DRL's. A box of donuts and a tray of coffee from Timmies got mine turned off at my Dodge stealership. It's the only way to do it unfortunately due to the way the lights are wired. :ugh

Good luck. :WHT:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, you're screwed.

Mine is exactly the same way with the DRL's. A box of donuts and a tray of coffee from Timmies got mine turned off at my Dodge stealership. It's the only way to do it unfortunately due to the way the lights are wired. :ugh

Good luck. :WHT:
Kind of what i figured as well. My only hope is to figure out which wire controls the LED dash indicator and hope it will do the job.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not screwed.....i have drls and have this done. I have four 100 watt kc daylighters behind my grill then the wire is ran to a relay then to a switch in the cab....when i want my lights to turn on with the high beams i leave my switch on if i dont want them coming on with my high beams i simply turn off my switch....and for daytime running lights i just leave my switch off in the day time....works good and i get 600 watts of light when i turn my high beams on lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not screwed.....i have drls and have this done. I have four 100 watt kc daylighters behind my grill then the wire is ran to a relay then to a switch in the cab....when i want my lights to turn on with the high beams i leave my switch on if i dont want them coming on with my high beams i simply turn off my switch....and for daytime running lights i just leave my switch off in the day time....works good and i get 600 watts of light when i turn my high beams on lol.
Something like that would work but im trying to set it up the most hassle free way possible. Im slowly making progress with the local dodge dealership, i think i have annoyed them almost to the point of just simply changing my region for me. But there has to be a wire on the wiper/blinker thing that when you pull it in to hit the highbeams the wire comes active, and there has to be another wire that comes active to turn on the indicator on the dash... so there has got to be at least 2 wires in the dash that would work for what i need. One should run out to the module and the other will run up to the speedo cluster. I tried asking dodge which wires they were but they just got all "its illegal you shouldnt be doing this anyways" and then told me the 2 wires im attempting to find are "communication wires" and if they are tampered with the system wont work properly so they are helping me out by not telling me which ones they are, which sounds like complete BS to me. So i know the wires are there i just need someone to tell/show me which wires they are! i tried using a multimeter but if i unplug the cluster nothing works right so i need it plugged in to test which leaves me no room to test any wires. It looks like there about 50 wires plugged into the back of the cluster, i need to figure out what one. Or find which wire comes off the wiper switch but i do believe that wire would not work as the high/low beam switch isnt a push-pull type like most vehicles, its a pull-pull so there should be one main wire that gets a signal both high and low and the computer reverses the lights everytime that signal is pulsed. So i am in need of the wire for the led indicator in the dash that shows the high beams are on. if anyone can simply tell me what wire that is it would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
Redtruck-VA
2,758 Posts
You apparently not reading the posts or you are ignoring the information being given. Your dealer for once is actually telling you the truth that the wires under the dash and from the multi-function switch and the headlight switch are communication wires. Download the manual for your year truck and chase the wiring. You will understand what folks are telling you. Good luck..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You apparently not reading the posts or you are ignoring the information being given. Your dealer for once is actually telling you the truth that the wires under the dash and from the multi-function switch and the headlight switch are communication wires. Download the manual for your year truck and chase the wiring. You will understand what folks are telling you. Good luck..
it makes no sense that the led power is communication though, it may be part communication but its also a constant which would work for the relay, when the led comes on, the relay gets triggered, my 2 lights come on with my high beams. when the led goes out, my relay opens up, my lights go off. exactly what i want them to do. unless somewhere on the back of the cluster is some little box im not seeing that a signal gets sent through the wire to the box and tells the led to turn on? even then there would be a trace on the board that could be tapped into and have a wire soldered on and connected to the relay. i understand the wiper switch how thats communication but the led stays on while the highbeams are on so it has a power source somewhere that when the highbeams come on it gets triggered to constantly give the led power and then stop the power when the lights are off. ahh this ****ing computer bullshit. anyone know of a place in bc that doesnt give a shit to change a truck from this canadian bullshit over to american? im getting extremely frustrated with this daytime running lights bullshit, 1 outa 5 ****ing vehicles on the road doesnt have DRL's, my last 2 vehicles never had them either so cops dont give a shit whether you have them or not. never seen such bullshit in my life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.