DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! This is my first post as a new and VERY proud Ram owner and a new member to your site! I own a 2002 4 x 2 RAM SLT crew cab. My problem is that at slow manouvering speeds with steering almost on full turn I can hear a clunk from the front end whernever I hit the brakes as the weight of the truck is transferred! It seems to come from the suspension area and can be duplicated by slowly moving forward, steering almost to full right lock and then hitting the brakes causing the front end to dip! I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and he tightened everything but after an hour I had to leave but am taking it back tomorrow. I was hoping you guys could give me some 'pointers' before I take it! Apart from this mt Ram is everything I wanted and more.. It is a beautiful vehicle to drive!

·
Banned
81 Posts
Did you ever figure it out? Looked at another posting and they stated one bolt inside the firewall for the u-joint was the cause. I am having this problem now and it is something I am worried about.

James

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
mine does it too i seems to be a coil spring i coated it with WD-40 where the spring and lower control arm meets and it stopped the sound forabout a week now its back.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
on myne, if the spring is seated properly on lower arm it should not pop-clunk-, but i did have a bad upper ball joint that the dealer could not find, i had to find it myself and then took it back and they replaced both upper control arm under warrenty. you ask how i found it? i took the shocks off so i could make it bounce real good while i lay under the truck and put my hand on the upper ball joint while bouncing and i could feel it poping in there.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Been searching DodgeTalk for a good bit of time about this problem. Solutions range from everything involved with the steering system. Got an appointment for the dealer tomorrow morning. Will update after the visit.

James

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
stinger1 said:
if the spring is seated properly on lower arm it should not pop-clunk-,
the key word bing should. mine pops alot and i have inspected it and i can see where the spring has been sliding. the front end has never been apart. so using that key word again.....it should be properly seated. it just started doing this reciently and i have had my truck since it had 13,000 miles on it now its at 45,000

buy i will try your check but it will only do it when the tire is turned and backing up. it will not do it stitting still.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
the wheels being turned would have nothing to do with the spring as that area does not change when wheels are turned, so i would be lookin at upper, lower joints, tie rod ends or the rack stearing. maybe control arm bushings as when wheels are turned it would add crazy stress to the bushings.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
the spring wear on lower arm is just slight spring rotation when lower arm goes up and down, it should not pop or clunk, it might at most squick. a little greas down there would fix. there is a 1/2inch hole in lower arm and the spring end should be just on or over that hole to comfirm it is in the right location, something else iss poping-clunking.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
that was my feeling to so i had the best mechanic i know look at it. (my dad) he has been working on cars since he was 16 and has countless awards troubleshooting everything under the sun. we did not tear into it too far as its super hot right now but we will once it cools down. im sure that he has forgotten more than i will ever know about cars so im sure we will figure it out. he was not worried about the noise so im not really worried about it eather. we will get it fixed its just a matter of when.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i have the same damn problem with mine. at full lock or almost full lock on left turns i get a muffled pop sound.

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
i had a loud ass creeking sound that was my lower control arm and the whole bushing had come out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.