DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I went to the store today and when we got back into the truck I started the truck, it started fine, and then when I went to put the truck into drive, it wouldn't move out of Park. I tried to wiggle it a bit while trying to get it to go into the correct direction, but nothing happened. I checked to see if something was affecting the brake pedal because I know the shifter won't move without the brake being applied, I saw nothing out of the ordinary. I pushed the pedal down harder, nothing happened. Just for the hell of it I put the truck from AWD into 4WD and tried to move it, and it moved. Not knowing too much about cars beyond the basics, this confused me. I got it home and turned it off and then started it to see if it would be stuck again, and it was. I put it into 4WD again and it moved.

Then my wife went to the grocery store later in the day and when she got home she turned the corner to come into our driveway and the rear left wheel was dragging on the driveway.

It's going to be hard to test it any further today because of the heavy snow we've received since this all happened.

I'm pretty sure I'm screwed in some manner, I'd just like to know what to expect. All input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a quick update. I was unable to duplicate the wheel dragging that my wife claims was happening in the driveway.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
This one is a new one on me! :crazy:
Post a fix if you find one. ;)

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
It sounds like a dragging brake. I don't know for sure but when you shift from awd to 4wd, I think the transfer case goes into low and would help overcome resistance that it wouldn't in awd. (Check owners manual)
It's possible you have a sticking wheel cylinder or parking brake... I came across a thread were someone was having brake overheating on a Durango and the wheel cylinder issue came up there... It was in the tire/wheel/suspension sub-forum.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Solid;

Please clarify if you will. When you say it won't move out of park, are you talking about the shifter on the steering column, or do you mean it would not back out of the space as in binding up.

The wheel hopping you saw would be the result if you tried to drive it on a hard surface in the 4wd mode.

I am guessing that you could have a linkage issue. It should not matter what position your dash 4x4 selector is in. That would not affect the column shifter.

I have the AWD t case as well, and feel it is the cats meow. Having both front and rear wheels sharing the load should be easier on the drivetrain, and allows you to go in rain, snow, or whatever usually out spinning a wheel.

We have the snow here in Ohio as well.

Don

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.