DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 4X4 Quad 3.9L 5 speed manual. Every now and then there is a snapping popping sound from under the driver seat area (can also feel it in the floor boards and shifter). This occurs for several miles then goes away for 300 - 400 miles of trouble free driving. In 4WD high though the popping snaping is much more frequent. Dealer gave drive shafts and u joints a clean bill of health. They couldn't replicate the problem. Wouldn't pull x-fer case due to $$. I have 80K miles and only use 4X4 ib snow. The x-fer case seal says New Process Gear model 233D. Anyone else have this sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Above 40 mph it is a strong vibration. At low speeds, less than 20 mph, it snaps and pops. Turning the wheel causes no change in condition. Coasting with clutch pressed to the floor, or tranny in neutral also causes no change in condition. Whatever part (s) it is it is spinning faster than wheels are turning. It’s been almost a week now with no occurrence. We got blasted with snow over the weekend and I used 4X4 selectively with no occurrence. I changed the fluid 2 weeks ago. No metal or milky color. Replaced with an ATF+4 synthetic. Had a short occurrence after changing the fluid. When it happens you’d swear the whole thing is going to come apart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slack Chain In Xfer Case?

I visited a Chevy owners forum and found someone with a similar problem. Theirs turned out to be a slack chain, skipping over sprockets. Would this make sense, especially if my problem occurs more frequently in 4X4?

·
Registered
165 Posts
My first thought was with the chain. Is there any jerking or difference in front/rear wheel speed you can notice while it occurs? Kyle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.