DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple issues with this truck I need help with. First the wipers, while on at 55-65mph they tend to lift off windshield halfway through their cycle..ie in middle of sweep. What the heck can be done about that? Second issue is the front passenger seat (upper back) sounds like it’s loose. I've checked the track, mounting bolts, all that’s visible w/o disassembly and nothing stands out. Any ideas, suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I was also wondering if these could be listed somewhere as tech. bulletins that dealers would have privy to, not customers. If so where would I find such bulletins? Thank you!
:gr_patrio

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have an 01 2500 (same truck) & no wiper problems like that. Do you have a bug deflector,aftrermarket hood, or anything changing your aerodynamics? Are they OE wiper arms/blades? As far as the seat, no problems either. I would tear the MF'er apart & see what's causing it. There is a website for Tech Service Bulletins but I can't remeber it. Do a search on DODGE TSB. LOL

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have two problems with the wipers on my 99 2500 with no cowls, deflectors, etc. The first is the lift that you describe. At higher speeds they lift off the windshield. The more "meat" there is to the wiper blade, the worse the condition is. Look at replacement blades and find the ones that have the least metal and try those. Avoid the plastic ones. The one exception is the problem I have in the winter: the blades freeze up when any snow or ice gets in the metal and keeps them from flexing like they are supposed to. In the winter, I use the special winter wipers that have a rubber cover around them to keep ice from getting in between the moving parts. However, these wipers are awful at high speeds as they lift even more. The other thing I have done for better vision is to use a wiper that is slightly shorter than stock - usually about 2 " shorter. Some people that I know use wipers that are 4" shorter. Because of the wiper arc, it doesn't really limit your vision.

·
Registered
740 Posts
There has been something on the market for a long time now that you may want to try. Don't know anyone who has used them, but I have seen them on cars. They look cheezy to me but they may work for you. They are little "wings" or "spoilers" that you attach to your wiper arms. They are supposed to increase wiper effectiveness by adding additional down force on your winshield. You can probably find them at your local auto parts store. You could even go for the "SPORT" look and paint them to match your truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wiper thing drives me crazy. In the rain, sleet and snow at least at highway speeds these wipers are all but useless!! Snow and ice are the worst. Basically a design flaw that everyone knew about but didn't give a rats a--(butt). My wifes mini van has spoilers built into the wiper itself creating downforce on the blade....one of Ford's better ideas. Man....I can't believe I said that? The seat issue is probably the same deal.....no one cares but the person behind the wheel. Always a Mopar lover, performance is one thing but fit-n-finish is something else! Thanks for the replies and I'll check that tsb site out, thanks.

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Dave3825 said:
Whiteowl

You know you are in the Ram 2nd Gen (94 – 01) Forums ??

You might get more info in the Ram 3rd Gen (02 – Up) Forums

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78
The '02 2500s were still 2nd gens, the HD models in the new shape came a year later than the 1/2 tons

Mine doesn't have this problem with the wipers other than when the joints all freeze, have you checked that a - the joints in the arches in the blade support that distribute the pressure along the blade are all free, and more likely b - that the cross pivot at the base of the arm is free, allowing the full force of the holddown spring to be applied? You need to park the wipers up on the screen by turning off the ignition partway through a stroke to allow them to be pulled up past the hood rear edge.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
You do have a second gen model. Only the 1500's got the facelift and change in '02.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wow........I could've sworn I had a 2nd gen. Ram.....thanks "Dave3825" for the share!
Uhhh... I think he's being sarcastic Grantman31. :thatfunny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.