Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

im looking to buy a 2001 to 2002 sport with the 3.3 motor.

wondering about gas mileage,and towing.i own a 17ft 1000lb fishing boat.also how has the 3.3 motor been holding up long term.Thanks for any help,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2002 Voyager and have gotten 19.5 to 20 mpg on my first three fill ups. Can't be much help, as have only owned it for a month. Can say the 3.3 has not disappointed me thus far on power. I was driving a V-8 Caprice prior. This mileage is for trip lengths of 3 miles roundtrip up to 30 miles roundtrip only. As far as problems........time will tell. Van had 47400 on when purchased.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 03 with a 3.3 six, gas mileage is not too good; it's more like that of a full size SUV; towing is good and the six has good low to mid range torque. I am having transmission issues, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2002 caravan

looks like gas mileage is about same as my 97 blazer.thought they would do a little better.dodge has emailed me back with no information on towing or gas mileage.so im hopping to hear from you guys,thanks jim in mich

·
Registered
984 Posts
I would give some serious thought to upgrading to the 3.8. Though the 3.3 is a great motor, very durable, the 3.8 gets about the same gas mileage, like within a mile or two per gallon in all types of driving, and when towing, you'll appreciate the nice snort that the 3.8 gives. The two engines are built from the same block, so in all respects, other than the CID, they are the same.

My 1996 T & C with 3.8 is at 290,000 miles, still runs like new, has never been apart, never been babied, and still doesn't use a quart of oil between changes (5,000 to 6,000 miles). My gas mileage has tailed off over the years. Used to be in the 24-25 range on the highway, but now runs around 21-22, and about 18-19 around town.

Rick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also Lookin to buy 2001 or newer Caravan

I wonder about Transmission & AC Fan etc problems in the Vans I have a 1999 Intrepid and had numerous problems with both fans going out the AC going out and the resistor and also the trans going totally out! So now im fretful of the vans. Anybody had any such probs with the vans?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Transmission woes were pretty much cured by the 1996 model years. But you MUST change the fluid on them per the owner's manual instructions, and only use the ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluid. Failure to do either of these things will result in problems. Since you're buying used, I would ask to see records of these things being done (and expect to pay a small premium for good documentation), or just shy away from anything with more than 50,000-60,000 miles on it, since 50,000 is the recommended tranny fluid interval.

As for the AC problems, I have not experienced them, and I have 290,000 miles on my 96 T & C.

Rick

·
Registered
62 Posts
mileage

the computer on my 02 reads 24mpg for all around driving. I have a stretch of road for 8-10 miles that i can go 45-50mph and that computer will read 32mpg when i get home. the city driving is a killer. when i check mileage myself, it will be 23-24 all the time for all around driving. the 3.3 engine is supposed to have extra heavy duty componets for the use of e85 flex fuel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
flex fuel

michigan man said:
what is e85 flex fuel.jim
it is a mix of 15%gas and 85% grain alcohol. if you live in iowa,minnesota, or illinois, it is available...its in the owner manual.. that way it will help the agriculture industy. however , i live in indiana, and i can`t get that fuel, but with the push of ethanol at the indy motor speedway, it just might happen.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My wife and I have an '02 Grand Carivan Sport 3.3 w/30k. The 'puter reports 24-26 mpg. I concider that fairly good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.