DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum but i have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan that suddenly started spitting and sputtering badly. The problem began shortly after putting in gas we drove about 20 miles shut it off went shopping, when we startedit again this started happening. I did the code trick (learned from my 2004 jeep) and came up with two codes 1684 (not worried about that one) and 0172 rich/lean condition (amazingly enough this is the code i found with the jeep 2 months ago) with the jeep it meant somthing slightly different O2 sensor heater bad. I haven't been able to check this problem out yet but like to know where to start? How would it start running rich and how to fix? I would appretiate any suggestions that don't invovle a short pier or a wall. YET

·
Registered
821 Posts
It could be a fuel delivery issue as in plugged filter or pump on the way out. I'm assuming these engines have a fuel pressure regulator and if that is the case, that could be another potential source.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what pressure the pump should put out? I will try to check that first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it took awhile to get back to it but, finally checked the fuel pressure and it is at 60psi. so now how do i test the coil? thanks again for any help

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I How would it start running rich and how to fix? New I would appretiate any suggestions that don't invovle a short pier or a wall. YET

The code definition is that the fuel system is rich. This means that the computer is getting the message that the engine is running too lean and is using extreme positive adjustments to the fuel trim to try to get the engine to run at the right mix. So you don't need to figure out what's making the engine run rich, you need to figure out what is making the computer think that the engine is running lean. That may be the result of a mechanical problem actually making the engine run lean (air leak, clogged injector, etc) or the result of a sensor sending the wrong signal-- like a coolant temperature sensor reading incorrectly or an O2 sensor reading incorrectly (as it might if the o2 heater has failed.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you i see i was thinking of it backward. interesting enough that my 04' jeep grand Cherokee did run about the same(as i fixed it this one went down same week) But, threw a code for O2 sensor replaced all four and tune up runs great. So even though it is not throwing that code it makes sense to try that next. thanks for getting me on the right train of thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well sorry it has been awhile since last post. I have not solved the problem yet and the van is still sitting (unfortunately). I had shoulder surgery and can't yet turn a wrench very well. I last check fuel p.s.i. which was good. Fuel injectors I used a ear scope to check if they are all opening and they were. I was going to check fuel volume from the pump but, never got that far. I think that Rick 99 pointed me in the right direction. If anyone has had the same issue and solved it please let me know how.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.