DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be Lifting the D this weekend and I just wanted to get some input before going into it. I know after reading that most recent thread that some people think the body lift is easy and some think it's hard. It seems that 2001 to 2003 are the hard ones so I guess I'm screwed there. What exactly gave you guys a hard time though? Were the bumpers the hardest part or was it actually getting the lifting blocks in under the body? I have the electronic dash mounted T-case control so I don't have to worry about that... Also, the TS lift seems pretty straight forward but is there anything I should look out for? You just swap out the rear shackles and crank the torsion bars 8 full turns correct? I have a shop and any tool I will need so I have no problems there. Thanks for any advice you can give:cheers:

Dan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kinda what I was wondering. I'm a technician but I usually work on Europeans or my Mustang and Vette so I don't really have any experience with doing body lifts. I read through the directions and it seemed pretty straight forward. I just wanted to see if there are any tricks or things that I need to look out for.

Thanks again,

Dan

·
It doesn't need a Hemi
462 Posts
The T/S lift is very straight forward. The only advice I can give you, is that if you have a trailer hitch, you do need to remove it. I felt that I could work around it, but you can not remove the upper shackle bolts with the hitch still installed. The completed T/S lift made the previous owner of my D, who happens to be a good friend of mine, really jealous. Now I am considering the body lift. Let me know how yours turns out. Pictures if possible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Keeping the lower fan shroud on and trimming it saves a good amount of time, or then would be a good time to ditch the clutch fan for an electric. I don't know if the Durangos can get away without installing the fuel filler neck like the Dakotas, but I'm sure someone here knows.
Dont know about 2001, but my 2000 Durango, I did not have to install the fuel line extensions. I just unstapped the clip holding them down, and haven't had any problems. A dremmel tool will make the trimming of the shroud fan go a ton faster. (or a hand held band saw if you have one. With that, it took me about 2 minutes to cut). Good luck!!!

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
personally, i would not cut the fan shroud. its there so that the air that is getting sucked in is controlled. when you cut away the bottom half of the shroud, the air that comes in will pretty much go right out the bottom. some will say, "its not a noticeable difference" until your clipping along at 80 mph on the interstate for about an hr or two, then bam some numbnut 5 miles up the road putting on lipstick while readin and feeding her newborn wrecks her damn car. so now traffic is backed up and you have to spen the next 45 minutes doin 5 mph. no air hitting the radiator from movement, and what the fan should be pulling in isn't controlled. So now your overheating on the interstate and now you have 400 car behind you screamin "get off the damn road" My point is, the body lift will come with a small set of brackets so that you can lower the fan shroud and it be mounted properly and still be fully functional. do it the right way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
personally, i would not cut the fan shroud. its there so that the air that is getting sucked in is controlled. when you cut away the bottom half of the shroud, the air that comes in will pretty much go right out the bottom. some will say, "its not a noticeable difference" until your clipping along at 80 mph on the interstate for about an hr or two, then bam some numbnut 5 miles up the road putting on lipstick while readin and feeding her newborn wrecks her damn car. so now traffic is backed up and you have to spen the next 45 minutes doin 5 mph. no air hitting the radiator from movement, and what the fan should be pulling in isn't controlled. So now your overheating on the interstate and now you have 400 car behind you screamin "get off the damn road" My point is, the body lift will come with a small set of brackets so that you can lower the fan shroud and it be mounted properly and still be fully functional. do it the right way.
So you don't have any strong feelings about this... jk. If it comes with the kit then I'll do it that way. Thanks for the responses. Hopefully I'll get it all finished up this weekend and then I'll post up some pics.

·
New name, same taste!
1,586 Posts
The bodylift doesn't come with brackets to lower the fan shroud--you NEED to cut the fan shroud. That's why I suggested that it's a good time to go to a good electric fan.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
hold on tinker bell, i have a 3" PA body lift and mine came with them. those arent just extra parts in the box.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
ok, that makes about no sense. I see that there are a few differences in the radiator, but essentially the shrouds connect the same, in that there are four points on that radiator that a bolt holds the shroud on. I would possibly see about contacting PA and see if you can get the shroud drop brackets from the 98-99. I just don't like the idea of cutting up the fan shroud to accomplish something. It seems half ass to me. To each his own though. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the link, that was helpful. Well I got the TS lift done after work last night. The body lift should be showing up tomorrow and hopefully I'll get it all done on saturday.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Where's some pic's!!

·
New name, same taste!
1,586 Posts
ok, that makes about no sense. I see that there are a few differences in the radiator, but essentially the shrouds connect the same, in that there are four points on that radiator that a bolt holds the shroud on. I would possibly see about contacting PA and see if you can get the shroud drop brackets from the 98-99. I just don't like the idea of cutting up the fan shroud to accomplish something. It seems half ass to me. To each his own though. Let us know how it goes.
It's not the different size and shape of the 2000+ radiators that cause the shroud issue--it's the location. They are located within the radiator supports, where as the 97-99 style is located behind the supports. The lower radiator support prevents the use of lowering brackets for the shroud. This is why 97-99 can use lowering brackets and 2000+ needs to cut the shroud.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
ok

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So I got it all finished up on Saturday. The body lift really wasn't bad. I finished it in about 7 hours and I only had help when lifting the body off the frame. I could have finished significantly faster but the bumper removal and installation instructions were terrible. Other than that it was a smooth install and I'm very happy with it. So here it is: 2" T/S lift, 3" PA body lift, Pro comp 17x8 rims, and BFG Mud KM2's (285/70 R17).

Before:

After the TS lift (sorry the only chance I had to take a pic was at night):

Completed:

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Awesome JOB!!!

How's the tires do in snow?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! I'm really happy with it. I don't have much personal experience because I just got them on but it pulled up on that snow pile just fine. My buddy has a very capable jeep and he's tried most tires out there. He said he loves these. He does quite a bit of wheeling in snow so I guess they should be good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.