DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

2 days ago, my check engine light came on. It was a hard code since it came on immediately as soon as you started the van, even cold.

Then........

My van was driving along yesterday morning just fine (with the light on). Suddenly, it started making a whining noise along with the transmission acting as if it were in neutral. I rev the motor and nothing at the trans happens, except the whining speeds up. If I rev way up to 3000 rpm, the trans would limp forward slowly. This is how I went 5 miles to my boy's daycare and left the van there all day.

After work I went to see if it would move or if I needed to tow it. I started it and it drove just fine. No indication that the problems earlier happened. So I decided to drive it home.

I got 5 miles and it started again. Now I needed to go 15 miles and it is all rush hour traffic and back roads. I would stop at lights and it didnt want to go again. Finally after reving it up, something inside would seem to connect and it would jump forward and drive fine for a very short while. Then back to a neutral feeling and i would coast to the next stopping point.

Finally, no more going forward. I was 3 miles from home so I towed it the rest of the way with my truck.

Now today after all day at home in my driveway, I start it and it moves just fine again except for the whining is very loud. It was quick before it would not move again. Fluid is still clear.

The whining sounds like a power steering pump that is dry.

I just bought a scan tool for OBD-II. I get 8 codes:

P0700= Transmission Control System Malfunction
p0732= Gear 2 Incorrect ratio
P0733 Incorrect 3rd Gear Ratio
P1782= Transmission solenoid pack needs to be replaced; P/ES Circuit Out Of Self Test Range
P1788 Pressure Control Solenoid “B” Open Circuit

P1784 Transmission Mechanical Failure - First And Reverse

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

What does this all mean? Is it the speed sensor? Pack? Solenoid B? Entire Control Module? I know the trans wants to work. It seems to not be able to.

Thanks!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update!!!!

Hello again,

Well I decided to clear the codes. Then start the van and see what happens. I cleared the codes. The MIL went out. I started the van, the whining started immediately and went away. The light never came back on. I put the van in forward. The van moved good. I put in reverse and the whining started but very quietly. Reverse was strong. I went forward very little movement and more whining. I went reverse. Very little movement and whining. A couple more times of this and occasionally the van would lurch forward gently. Nothing strong. whining pitch louder and quieter. No MIL.

I turn the van off and check codes. I have 4. They are......

0731 = 1 gear ratio
0732 = 2nd gear ratio
0700 = you have trans problem - duh
1782 = Solenoid pack is shot

All of these are p/d codes, which on my scanner means they are emission codes and may not mean a problem with the component. Since this is the case I suspect the coil pack.

What say you all????????

· Registered
1,925 Posts
I say to check out the link to "transmission information" in post 8 of my thread on transmission diagnosis and removal:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150579

The link in post 8 is to a website with the transmission diagnostic manual for our tranny (though the manual is for Neons, the tranny is the same). The manual has diagnostic flow charts and detailed explanations for the meaning of each code which will give you much more insight into the meaning than the brief code descriptions that you have.

· Registered
115 Posts
Check the simple things first:

Have you checked the fluid level on the dipstick?

Has the transmission ever been serviced?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.