DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
^BIG D^
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been looking at the dealerships, and I have found one at a price I could actually afford. It's a 2001, 4.7L, 4X4, with 117,000 miles on it. The dealer's asking price is $8,700. I have not yet had the chance to look at it close or take a test drive.

I seen a thread a while back ago that was things to look for when buying a Durango, but I can't find it. Like how to get the codes (switching ignigion), ect. Things to look for. It's my first time buying a used vehicle from a dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Hey QT -

To get the codes, switch ignition on-off-on-off-on & watch odometer.

After checking the usual things (fluid levels & condition, leaks, working AC, etc), I'd get at least one front wheel off the ground & check ball joints. Also run the heater full blast for awhile (windows UP) & check for any windshield fogging or moisture on the passenger-side carpet, under the dash. If the heater core is questionable, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

·
^BIG D^
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do I find out what the codes are? Anything else I should look for in particular?

Do you think that this high of milege is worth considering?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
If you're not comfortable evaluating the condition of the rig yourself, find a mechanic & pay $35-50 to get his opinion. The code list can be found on the threads.

PS: 117k is just about broken in (as long as it had a good PM schedule)

·
^BIG D^
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I test drove it, and it drove really nice. The 4 wheel drive engaged just fine. The transmission shifted perfect. Becuase you on here have more experience, do you think it would last? I would actually like something with lower miles, and I heard something about the trasnmissions when they get up about to this mileage. I don't know if I should consider this, or if I should keep saving until I can afford a nicer one with less miles.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The 4.7L has a different transmission than the 5.9L which seems to be troubleprone.
The 4.7L has the 45rfe trans, same one they put behind the hemi trucks. Its an electronic controlled transmission, no bands to adjust, basically a new design compared to the 46r tran behind the 5.9L.
The 45rfe seems to hold up very well, and I would expect is as good as anything else out there. I now have 150K on mine without any issues and I tow a very large boat, 30', on occasion. I see no reason why one shouldn't expect 200K plus without any major issues out of the engine or transmission assuming it was not abused in the previous 117K.

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
Now a days 117k isn't that much imo. Considering the fact of the price difference with a lower mileage one you can probably save a few grand on this one and just be aware your closer to having to do some repairs. Mine was a pain in the a$$ at first. I had all kinds of little things going wrong between 20k and 30k miles. She has been much better since then although I have to say it still has several little things wrong that bug me. I would highly recommend you or a trusted mechanic doing a complete look over the vehicle, Include pulling the wheels and having the front end checked. I would have the diff and transfer case fluids checked for shavings as well. If it checks out and you like the vehicle jump on it. The way these things are made If electrically everything seems ok and the drivetrain seems ok your probably in good shape.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 2000 4.7 with 130 miles on it, and nothing's wrong.. Not a leak under the damn thing. I wish I could sell it though. I really don't want it. I definitely can say though that these trucks apparently run well at 100k+ miles. I have no complains about mine other than its inability to leave my driveway for good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I do think that 8700 is kind of a rip off though. I paid 6500 for mine with 110k 2 years ago, and thought that was kinda high but it has all the options, so... I really wouldn't pay that much though. Hell, I'm only trying to get 5k for mine, and that ain't happening. I seriously won't go that high on a truck with that many miles. I mean, they're good, but... I'd rather put that 8500 down and take out a loan for a few grand and make 50 dollar payments on a truck with half the milage. But that's just me.

·
^BIG D^
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Around here theres no such thing as that low of price. for a 2002 with 70k miles they are asking $11,500!!!

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
Price is relative. I love it when others tell me they can get a better price on whatever. If you like it ...can afford it... And want to buy it. Then go for it. Tell others your great aunt gave it to you if you want. It doesn't matter. The bottom line is that YOUR happy with it not some annonymous person from a message board. I would certainly not pay sticker for it considering gas prices atm but I am sure you can talk them down some. even if not who cares as long as your happy with the deal.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Dodgems said:
Price is relative. I love it when others tell me they can get a better price on whatever. If you like it ...can afford it... And want to buy it. Then go for it. Tell others your great aunt gave it to you if you want. It doesn't matter. The bottom line is that YOUR happy with it not some annonymous person from a message board. I would certainly not pay sticker for it considering gas prices atm but I am sure you can talk them down some. even if not who cares as long as your happy with the deal.

"atm" has dual meaning... :D

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
tsk tsk tsk unnamed lol
Don't think I can elaborate any further on this board. :)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Have you looked into private sales? I don't think I'd ever buy a used car from a dealer- every time I've gone car shopping I've always been able to find private sales that are $2-3000 less than the dealer for the same or better car.

Private sellers think they got a good deal if they sell for a little more than the dealer offered them on trade in, dealers are professional at getting as much money out of you as possible. I also think it's a lot easier to take a private sale car to a mechanic for a check before buying. Car dealers will pressure you to buy today and won't be patient about that kind of thing.

Even if something does go wrong with the car the couple thousand you saved buying it privately will go a long way to repair anything that might happen and you won't have to fight with the dealer about whether they should pay for the repairs.

You should avoid the kind of advice given above that says "Don't worry, if you can afford it and you feel good, do it." That attitude is exactly what a good salesperson will lead you to and it will cost you a lot of money. Don't get emotionally involved in a particular vehicle. It is merely a "unit" like any number of other ones out there (until after you buy it of course, then it's your "baby".)

Use kbb.com for price information (look at trade-in value, because that's the wholesale price for your car). You can look in your local classifieds, but I've found a lot of great deals on craigslist.com too.

Also, trucks like Durangos are going extra cheap these days because of gas prices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.