DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with 187k miles on it, all original so she is old and things are prone to break. The other day (after whipping a donut in a snowy parking lot, don't lecture me :grin ) my check engine light came on. I did the little key trick and the code was P 0301. I googled it to come up with an cylinder 1 misfire. It felt like it idled a little rough, but that could just be in my head. My fuel mileage is always sh*t, so that has not changed either. I got home and checked the spark plug but there were no bad signs and it had a spark.
What should I get into next? Could it just be a bug in my system?
On a side not, the truck just kicks down everytime I got uphill, like it's dragging a trailer or something. She's never been good at driving up hills. My boyfriend has pointed this out numerous times saying this shouldn't be an issue seeing as it has a 360, but it is almost 20 years old. This makes me think it could be fuel injectors but I am not sure.

Attachments

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with 187k miles on it, all original so she is old and things are prone to break. The other day (after whipping a donut in a snowy parking lot, don't lecture me :grin ) my check engine light came on. I did the little key trick and the code was P 0301. I googled it to come up with an cylinder 1 misfire. It felt like it idled a little rough, but that could just be in my head. My fuel mileage is always sh*t, so that has not changed either. I got home and checked the spark plug but there were no bad signs and it had a spark.
What should I get into next? Could it just be a bug in my system?
On a side not, the truck just kicks down everytime I got uphill, like it's dragging a trailer or something. She's never been good at driving up hills. My boyfriend has pointed this out numerous times saying this shouldn't be an issue seeing as it has a 360, but it is almost 20 years old. This makes me think it could be fuel injectors but I am not sure.
You can either insulate the plug wires with wire loom or upgrade to MSD/Accel/etc wires, the problem is caused by induction / cross-firing. When the stock (or worn) plug wires are ran next to each other this can happen.

Looks like you are lifted and maybe running 33s? With the stock 3.55 gear set the downshifting uphill will happen.
Keep O/D turned off around town and re-gear to 4.11 / 4.56 if you are keeping the truck and have funds.

My 01 has almost 190k on it, i re-geared the front & rear diff to 4.56 and it drives like a new truck.
With 35s my rpms in O/D at 70 are about 2100, which fixed the gear hunting issue.
Mileage is 10 city and 13 highway, but it's 6100 pounds, lifted, and running 35s.

You can reset the CEL by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think anything is crosswired. That was fixed a year ago when I replaced the distributor coil and the wires.
The truck has 4.10 for gears and yeah, they're 33's
I took the battery out and it never went off, even tried to erase the code and it always came up with "attempt failed".
I want to chalk it up to a bad injector but I will mostly likely take it to a shop to get it checked out before I start pouring out money.

·
Diego Serna
420 Posts
Chizzle is correct about the miss firing. Even though nothing is cross wired, the way the factory wires were installed, can cause cross firing of the spark plugs. There was a TPS concerning this issue, I'm sure someone can post it so you can see what a possible cause to your problem is.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
If you haven't replaced the plenum gasket yet it can give you a host of misfire codes. Just get decent set of 8 mm wires and you don't have to worry about spark cross firing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts