DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stereo of my 01 minivan died 4 months ago. Today, lights exterior lights started to flash and it sounded like a repetitive short happening under the hood. Had to start it and get the kids home (10 km). Parked, tried to turn off the engine, but ended up removing the key while the van remained running. Jiggled it to get it to stop and then disconnected the battery. The lights continued to go crazy as I was undoing the battery cable. I have heard about horror electrical situations and wondered if anyone had any advice?
Thanks, Izzy

·
Registered
28 Posts
For what it's worth, I had some of the same symptoms one morning when I went out to start my 2001 GC.
It sounded like a major electrical short in the engine area and wouldn't even try to start.
I took the battery to AutoZone and it tested bad; a new battery fixed the problem.
I never had a battery go out like that before, no warning like low cranking speed the day before or anything.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Fair warning to all: Chrysler on-board computers are VERY sensitive to having good, consistent power. When your battery goes bad, the computers will mask the effect (which explains why you won't notice slower cranking speed), but they will also start creating all sorts of mysterious electrical issues in vehicle systems like lights and such.

If your van starts to seem possessed by electrical demons, start with a new battery, and have the alternator checked while you're at it.

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.