DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My p/u wouldnt start. So I pulled the exhaust out and gutted the cats. put all back with a flowmaster and gutted cats.
I had all kids of codes. Got all fixed but p0351 and p0152.
It is all stock except the MSD 5 ignition.
Now it is hard to start and bogs when I stomp it but will rev up if I ease into the throttle. I have a new TPS, cleaned IAC and new distributor, rotor and Tayor wires with Autolite plugs.
I am racking my brain. Whats the problem here? :VHOT: Is my bad O2 sensor making it do this? I know the one code is because of the MSD box. I have been workin this for a few weeks. I have rebuilt 600hp SBC's for race cars and I have a few Hot Rods that I play with. None of which are MPFI. I cant figure this out.... :help:

·
Registered
590 Posts
did ya use a tach adapter for the MSD box? accell makes it so the MSD box interfaces correctly with the coil.

socaldakota.com has the correct number for it.

other than that, the O2`s might be it.

you mention new distributor.... is it the whole dist or just the cap??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just cap and rotor....starting to think I have an injector leaking into the cylinder. Put vise grips on the rubber inlet line to the rail and after 15 minutes ther was no pressure.

·
05 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4
191 Posts
Am I reading that wrong or did you gut the cats because it wouldn't start? Have you tried swapping the MSD box back to stock just to eliminate that as a possible cause? Every 02 sensor I had go bad just made the vehicle run very rich until they were replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over time, the dak got harder to start every morning. So I gutted the cats cuz they were plugged. Now I weld it all back up and throw in a flowmaster and it wont start unless I keep cranking on it and when it finally starts it will rev if I ease into the throttle but wont rev if I stomp it, it bogs down then backfires out exhaust. The MSD box isnt the prob...I put a fuel press gauge on it and it bleeds to) in about 10 seconds.

·
05 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4
191 Posts
wiskeesour said:
Over time, the dak got harder to start every morning. So I gutted the cats cuz they were plugged. Now I weld it all back up and throw in a flowmaster and it wont start unless I keep cranking on it and when it finally starts it will rev if I ease into the throttle but wont rev if I stomp it, it bogs down then backfires out exhaust. The MSD box isnt the prob...I put a fuel press gauge on it and it bleeds to) in about 10 seconds.
Sorry I don't know much about this motor, i've only had mine a couple months. Hard to start/rev sounds like my old Chev when it was way out of time. WHat about fuel filter/pump?

·
Registered
590 Posts
wiskeesour said:

sounds like a timing problem. double check to see if your wires are on right, the cap and rotor are on correctly and tight (it can happen).

when ya turn the key on, the fuel pump will start up and press the system. there is a gage connection on the fuel rail (scrader valve). might plug in a gage to see what it is. if ya fuel in the oil it would show on the oil press gage and on the dip stick over time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got 50psi on the rail at start up but it bleeds down to 0 in about 10 seconds...
cap, rotor, wires, plugs are all good... :help:

Raz, you a Navy guy?

AE2(AW) Harley Moody
VX-31 Naval Weapons Test Station China Lake, CA....here

·
Registered
590 Posts
wiskeesour said:
got 50psi on the rail at start up but it bleeds down to 0 in about 10 seconds...
cap, rotor, wires, plugs are all good... :help:

Raz, you a Navy guy?

AE2(AW) Harley Moody
VX-31 Naval Weapons Test Station China Lake, CA....here
yap... MMC(SW/AW) John Rasbury
USS Kitty Hawk

i still think its not a fuel problem... un hook the MSD and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it to the transmission installer and asked him if there was anyway he could have pinched my wiring harness and messed up my wiring somehow. said he would check it for free.
YEEAAYYY!
So He'll troubleshoot it for me and well see whats wrong with it....

What part of TX Raz?

·
Registered
590 Posts
wiskeesour said:
What part of TX Raz?
Grew up in the Dallas/Terrell/Kaufman area. Parents live in Tyler.

soon to xfer from Japan back to SoCal... i see from you Ebay add you are in the China Lake area.... might be interested in the trans ya gots for sale if ya still got it in late Jan timeframe...i can come get it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it dont sell on ebay you can make me an offer on it.....
The sun gear is makin a grindin noise. Thats why I pulled it.
Oh BTW, Im from Altus/Lawton Okla area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.