DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem getting the cable tension correct on the white spool that fits on the motor turn. The cable came unspooled when I replaced the motor. I cannot find anything in Chilton's or Hayne's that show any techniques for getting this corrected. Don't know if the window needs to be all the way down, up, or inbetween. When I put everything in place, the cable jams up on the spool.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
737 Posts
It's going to be very hard to find the procedure since all the books recommend replacing the entire regulator assembly.

· Registered
1,925 Posts
When I replaced my motor, the directions said to tape the window in the "up" position with duct tape, so I start with it there, then wind the cables. as I remember, mine were pretty tight. Remember that one needs to wind while the other unwinds-- try to wind them neatly to make them less likely to jam. I'm not sure anyone will be able to tell you any secrets. You'll just have to use trial and error.

· Registered
28 Posts
The driver side power window on my 2001 GC failed at 15,000 miles after the 3 yr. warranty had expired.
The window would come down but not back up, the fix was replacing the regulator assembly as is already posted.
The original 2001 regulator assembly was defective and has been replaced by an improved one.
Dealer cost for parts/labor was about $280 out of my pocket because Chrysler wouldn't cover the repair even though my GC only had 15,000 miles on it.
Do yourself a favor and don't waste time trying to fix that original regulator and get a newer one from a salvage yard or shop the Mopar parts vendors online.
If you'll search the Mopar parts manual you'll probably find that regulator is the same for 2001 thru 2007s.

· Registered
3 Posts
BMisita said:
I am having a problem getting the cable tension correct on the white spool that fits on the motor turn. The cable came unspooled when I replaced the motor. I cannot find anything in Chilton's or Hayne's that show any techniques for getting this corrected. Don't know if the window needs to be all the way down, up, or inbetween. When I put everything in place, the cable jams up on the spool.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Here are instructions posted on another forum by a DIY'er on how to rewind the cables on the spool. I have not done this myself so cannot vouch for procedure, but it sounds reasonable to me, and seems to have worked for that person. Here 'tis ......

Posted by gocanes2 @ Edmonds Towntalk _ Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions - READ ONLY

"I finally got back to it and figured it out. I was winding the cable back on the wheel correctly but the cable came off the roller on the top of the right side track so I had to take out the right side track and put the cable back on the roller. Not hard to do at all..just loosen two screws and pull out the pin holding the window bolt to the track and duct tape the window up so it stays put.

Anyway, to wind the cables back on the wheel, put the window all the way up (this leaves the right side cable long and the left side cable short), connect the right side cable to the wheel and start winding it (as you are winding the cables, make sure you keep slight tension on them so the cables do not come off of the rollers on the tracks). Wind the right side as far as you can, with the cable sheaths inserted into their proper places, and then attach the left side cable end into the other hole in the wheel (the inner hole). If all the cables in the tracks are correctly seated, you will have just enough cable to wind the left cable around the wheel. This part is difficult as you need to get every bit of the slack out of the cables (including compressing the springs at the near ends) in order to be able to achieve a tight wind it on the wheel. Tilting the wheel a bit while winding that last inch or so helped get in on but it is difficult. Once you get it on, you need to turn the window motor slightly using the electric window switch to a position that lines up with the square slot in the back of the wheel. After that, add some lithium grease and pop the silver cover plate back on the the front of the regulator housing and put the door back together. One more thing, the rubber gromets into which the motor is screwed were rotted and could not be re-used. The auto store recommended using heater hose as a substitute and it worked great once i jammed it into the holes."

Hope this helps .....
-- willperk
You might want to look back at several posts by this person prior to post #4203

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.