Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I’m looking to buy a used 2001-2005 model year Grand Caravan with 100,000+kms or more. I had a 1994 Caravan before and yes, I had to change the entire Tranny. Any advice on these newer model years, common issues and what to watch out for, etc…Current/past owners and anyone with knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
821 Posts
Our 2001 has 123,000 miles on it and has been a pretty decent vehicle in terms of repairs. We have had no issues with the transmission but then, I have changed the fluid 4 times. If you can get the maintenance records, look for one that has had regular servicing. Check the front edge of the hood to be sure there isn't any bubbling. Others have had some rust issues in the rocker panel and rear wheel wells.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an 02 GCSport with 147000kms. No Tranny troubles. HOWEVER A LOT of trouble with the front end. Have had to replace the swaybar bushings at least twice/year, until I stopped using the OEM rubber bushings and installed some Poly MOOGs, and now I have to replace the rack&pinion. Oh yes also had to replace the sway bar end links. Other than that the van is great

·
Registered
39 Posts
the biggest problem with the trannys is the modulator pack. they tend to get dirt inside them as the gasket wears. do not ignore any leaks. many people ignore the leaks and wind up burning the tranny. also the clutch packs wear. a good tranny shop can remap the tranny to adjust for wear and tear. strut tower bushings wear and create front end end noise. the sway bar busshings squeak when they are cold. A/C compressors are weak and can be troublesome. If i left something out, someone please chime in.

p.s. my 2000 has 67k and I just replaced the flex plate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2001 with 83K - Replaced blower module, radio, radiator, both power window regulators, ac condensor, ac compressor, oil pan gasket, transmission solenoid pack seal, power steering reservoir, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs. Haven't fixed the liftgate that doesn't work and headlight switch that doesn't allow foglights to be turned off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.