DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 watt inverter that I want to install in my 1999 5.2 QC. I want to run home appliances when I am at the beach. I'm leaning toward a second battery on the passenger side and an isolator but I"d like to know what other people have done with large inverters. I want as many install tips as I can get before I start this mod since getting wrong can lead to fires etc. Does anyone have a picture of the second battery tray in a Ram? Where is the best place for the inverter. I may be away from my computer for a few days so I'll reply when I return. Thanks in advance for the tips and suggestions.

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
you can get a second battery tray from the dealership but order the part for the diesel because they have a passenger side pattery tray available. Then get a heavy duty isolator and i would also recomend either getting your alternator rewound or get a high amp unit.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I edited this post because I blew it on the math. Need..more..coffee.

·
Derelict
392 Posts
senglehart said:
Well, let's see.

2000W / 120 VAC = 16.67 AAC

Let's figure 80% efficiency.

16.67 AAC x 120% = 20A DC

20 amps isn't too terrible much of a load.

I'd add a second battery if you were using your inverter with the truck off.

Figure a battery has 60-70 amp hours.
I think you slipped a decimal point. 2000W at 12VDC is 166 amps (more or less).

More importantly, a blender draws a lot of power -- 12 - 15 amps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the fast and great replies. Is anyone running an inverter of this size that can share a few pictures? I searched for a picture of the diesel battery tray but I can't find one. I guess I'll just stop past a car lot and pop a few hoods when I get time. I figured it would draw about 166-185 at a full. I don't plan on running a full oad but it is better to wire it than to have problems later. I intend to get a switch to cut all power when the inverter is not in use. Can anyone suggest a good location for mounting it?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
With that type of battery drain, I'd recommend some deep cycle batteries. Even those things might only be good for 80 amp-hours. You want to invest in a battery charger.

How long per day would you run the inverter at full tilt?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
BeachCrawler said:
I'm thinking only 30-45 minutes per day with a draw over 1500 watts.
I'd suggest 2 deep cycle marine batteries at the minimum. Even then, you'll drain them almost completely. Plus a recharge every night. I wouldn't hook these batteries into your vehicle's stock electrical system. Not unless you plan on running 2 alternators.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I run an inverter in my truck when I am at the track.
I made a batt. tray for the pass. side myself based on the same dimensions as the original tray. There are already bolt holes avail. on the fender and the only thing I had to do was relocate the EVAP vacuum from the fender to the wheel well.
As for the inverter, I didn't install it permenantly. What I did was purchase some jumper cables, cut them in half, add a couple terminal lugs then bolt them to the + and - of the inverter. The other thing I did was chasis ground the inverter to a screw on its case using 4 g wire and a 20A ground clamp.
I wouldn't recommend mounting the inverter permantly under the hood because moisture will ruin it.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
senglehart said:
I'd suggest 2 deep cycle marine batteries at the minimum. Even then, you'll drain them almost completely. Plus a recharge every night. I wouldn't hook these batteries into your vehicle's stock electrical system. Not unless you plan on running 2 alternators.
I agree. Even 2 batts isn't going to cut it.
You "might" be ok for 30min but thats about it. You said that you are going to be pulling around 1500 watts. If that's true you might want to look for a better inverter. Or make sure that the inverter can continuously pull 2000 watts and that the peek is not 2k watts. They are usually rated by peek.
I installed a 6,000 or 9,000 watt inverter on a truck at work. That inverter pulls over 300amps from the batts. I ended up putting a tool box in the back of the truck and wiring up 9 batteries. This truck was made to run events in the parks for sound systems, lights, movies, 115V welders, and for meetings that were held where we can't get power to. Make sure you use heavy wire and calculate the actual amount of watts that you will be using.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is not sounding like a good idea. I would never mount it under the hood. I don't want to mount batteries in the bed so it'll be hard to get enough power to run the inverter more than a few minutes plus I'd need a high output alternater. A temp setup is the best idea. The inverter is a 2000/4000 peak unit. I may drop dowm to 1200 or 1500 watts and forget trying to run 2000 watts. I can be done but I'm not willing to add 300 ponuds of batteries for something that will only used a few times a year. I'd like to add a diesel battery tray on the passenger side and mount the inverter somewhere in the cab. Thanks everyone for the input. It has been very helpful.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
If you have 2 additional batts and leave the engine running you will be able to increase the time you can run the inverter. I would recommend running the engine at 1500RPM min. They sell linkages for that. If you do that make sure the truck is in a safe place where no one will steel it.
You should get a higher amp alt but it is not required. I still have the 70amp alt on the work truck. It charges all the batts fine. It may take longer to charge but that is better for the batteries. It's been 4 years with no problems. Make sure you have an isolator.

·
Derelict
392 Posts
98QuadCabV10 said:
I still have the 70amp alt on the work truck. It charges all the batts fine. It may take longer to charge but that is better for the batteries.
The stock charging system is more of a trickle charger (low amps). If you're running down the batteries an external smart charger is a good investment.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Road Dog said:
The stock charging system is more of a trickle charger (low amps). If you're running down the batteries an external smart charger is a good investment.
Thats true. But in my case the truck is running more than 8 hours a day so there is no need to add another charger.
In BeachCrawler's case I would get a charger and plug it in when the trucks not running. It all depends on how long the truck will be running between Inverter uses.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I returned the 2000 watt inverter and picked up a 1200/3200 watt unit. The smaller inverter will let me use smaller cable. I also have the 2nd battery tray, Isolater, and a marine battery selector switch. The inverter will be wired directly to battery #2 but I and use the switch to select battery #1, #2, or both for starting in a pinch. I plan to mount one outlet next to the floor shifter and one in the bed which is covered with a cap. Is a GFI a good idea or just trust the inverter fuses?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.