DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ram 1/2 ton, sport, 4x4, 360, auto... Im pretty sure my rear end is going out and im needing some help with it. Id like to know what rear end it has in it and if there is a better rear end to put back in it with me running 285/16 combo. These dodges are getting frustrating, the last one i had caught on fire, and this one ive had for 4 months and the rear end is going out.. lol suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well its got the 9.25" chrysler rear end probably 3.55 gears, hard to say without a vin or anything. What is going in the rear end specifically?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont understand the question? i just want to know what is going to be best to replace it with and what is going to be most reliable with 285's. lol

·
Registered
994 Posts
Unless you really feel like a same model year Dodge D60 swap from a 2500/3500, I recommend having a good shop rebuild it. It's not quite as good as a D60 (mainly because of some bearing design issues), but it is more than strong enough for 285s and even larger. My local 4x4 shop charged a little more than $700 for the rebuild, and he said he has never had one come back. The reason they fail? The pinion bearing fails, and my man said it is because the factory spec calls for too much preload on the crush sleeve.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what would a d60 swap consist of me doing and needing?

·
Registered
994 Posts
A D60 axle (high pinion preferred, but Dodge D60 ok), new wheels (unless your D60 is custom from Currie Enterprises), new drive shaft, perhaps brake modifications (depending on the D60), new spring perches. The list goes on...

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/dana60swap.php

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats alot more work then im wanting to do, im more then likely gonna just go to a salvage yard and find a used rear end and swap em out for now

·
Registered
393 Posts
make sure that its the same gear ratio as you front end

·
Registered
147 Posts
The label under the hood (near the grill)on mine indicates the rear end ratio. The dealer charged me $900 to replace the bearings in mine at 147,000 miles but my regular shop did not have time to do it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I dont think it's as bad as you believe it to be. It's probably just pinion or carrier bearings. You can get a whole new master install kit for about 120 bucks that replaces all bearings and races, new crush sleeve, new pinion seal. If the bearings have grenaded and sent shrapnel through the gearset you may end up having to get a ring and pinion set too, those will run you around 200. Richmond, Yukon, Precision, are among a few of the good brands. Any good driveline shop should be able to install them for you for about 300 bucks, give or take depending on your area. Tax and all should be around 700 for all new gears and master install kit. Of course if you dont have LSD and want one, if you have the extra 400 for an Auburn or Dana the shop shouldnt charge anymore to put that in while they're at it, since it's actually a tad less work to install a new LSD unit than it is to press the old bearings off your old diff to put the new ones on. If they try to tell you it will cost extra to install the LSD just walk away, you're getting raped.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what is the cheapest way to fix this problem? Im mainly looking for a cheap fix so that i can trade this truck and trade for a newer silverado.. lol

·
moparman505
217 Posts
ppp1182 is so right! Bearing pre-load from factory too high. Just had to have mine replaced (discovered pinion bearing gone while having tranny rebuild) Go the rebuild route these rear ends are plenty tough. That was from my mechanic too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.