DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently given a 2000 dodge intrepid with a 2.7 and 140,000 miles by one of my family members. I am trying to figure out whats wrong with it. I have read about the sludge and timing chain issues these cars are known for. Before it was given to me it was run low on oil and the engine started making noise, they put oil back in it and the noise went away but came back after a day or so.

When I picked it up the engine was making a noise that to me kinda sounded like a bad lifter it wasn't a hard knocking and the engine wouldn't go above 40 mph. I thought the problem may of been a clogged oil passage from sludge so I ran an oil flush treatment in it and changed the oil with synthetic oil and changed the spark plugs. As I was backing it off the ramps the car just died out completely and hasn't started back up since.

I hooked a code scanner up to it and received 3 codes referring to 3 ignition coils and 3 codes saying there were 3 misfires. As of right now only 2 cylinders are getting spark, I checked the coils by placing the ones that weren't firing on to the ones that were and they worked. I hooked a test light up to the wires going into the coil and they are all getting power.

What could this be? Is this something electronic? I was thinking it might be the timing chain but I thought if the timing chain broke I would hear the chain thrashing around when I try to crank it and I don't hear anything like that. I thought it may be the crank position sensor but in my haynes manual it says the crank position sensor will cause none of the cylinders to get spark. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
I would pull the oil pan and front cover and inspect. If you find any damage a used 2.7 is probably your best bet, with LOW miles, and change the oil every 3,000 miles with mobil one synthetic to keep the sludge from forming.

You could also swap in a 3.2/3.5 engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.