DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my wifes car developed a problem with the heater and it is starting again. The heater seems to only work when the engine RPM is ABOVE idle. IE.. If sitting at a stop light, the air coming out of the vents is cold, but as soon as you press on the gas, even just a few hundred RPM's the air starts coming out hot again. On one occation, the engine temp started to rise above normal temp and when she pressed on the gas it came back down. I purchased a new thermostat, but I have heard alot of issues about the "t-stat housing breaking" becuase it is plastic.. Any information would be helpfull.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am no expert but if you don't get heat I can think of a few things that might be wrong

1 water pump. if you have a 2.7 these are notorious for going bad. The water pump pumps the water through the system that includes the heater core to get heat into the cabin. If it is not pumping water until higher RPM's then that could be the problem.

2. Blocked heater core not circulating water through the core until it's moving well and that could be the problem.

3. Bad thermostat it is not opening properly that could keep hot coolant from circulating through the system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem on my 2001 2.7L. Sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes for the temp gauge to come up and the heater air is cold. Then the gauge jumps up to normal temp and the heater air is immediately warm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
in hopes that posting a message will bump this in some way where someone with more info may read it. my wifes 02 has the same problem. i dont drive it often so cant give every detail but have noticed it blows cold at stop lights sometimes and then heats right back up. i saw it run for about 10 minutes with gauge and heater blowing cold then gauge jumped up and heat blew warm. any more advice or info on this issue??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found out my problem was very simple.... Low coolant. Yep, thats it. I found out that the design of the 2.7L is such that when the coolant gets low, it will not push it through untill you give it gas. Once I topped off the coolant, its never had the problem again.

PS> Make sure you use the right coolant. Most likely the orange not the regular green.

·
Registered
7 Posts
this is a common problem with alot of different vehicles,,,the most common cause is low coolant. However, there are some updates from Dodge on several cooling system components, and some very nice aftermarket parts available at much lower than manufacturer cost!!! First of all, if your heater isn't working and you "topped off" the coolant to fix it, where did that coolant go?? Coolant like power steering/transmission/brake fluids, are non-consumables,,,so if their low, there a solid chance you have a leak.once you identify where the leak is, you need to correct it. The 2.7 is a little tricky when it comes to coolant leaks, as the H2O pump is internal, and it doesnt leak directly under the center of the engine.The thermostat housing although seemingly made of cheap plastic, is quite durable and usually only leaks when those "cheap" rubber gaskets fail, this can be solved by a good cleaning and Permatex Right Stuff sealer.The other more common leak is at the crossover housing between the heads on the front of the engine, because some "genius" over at R&D though it was a good idea to press/glue a brass bleeder fitting into a plastic housing, no doubt he works in the mail room now!!!The replacement part can be purchased from your local Mopar Parts distributor. Orange or Red Coolant BAD,,,,GREEN COOLANT GOOD. All the research has been done for ya, if it was good enough for Dad's 71 Cuda, its good enough for your aluminum block V-6.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.