DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the day has come that my trep is gone. Or at least on the bench for now. Just passed the 120k mark and found out I will need a new engine. The mechanic looked at it and told me the same thing i believed was true, Pistons were contacting the valves. Something like that. Anyway I would like to find a nice low mileage 3.5L HO engine for cheap. My original engine was a 3.2L. Just wondering if this could be done and what I would need for it to be done. Any price ranges for a 3.5 would be great. Any info on where to get one would be even greater. Im new to this forum and considered a newbie with anything mechanical. I will get down and dirty tho.

A nice V8 RWD swap would be even greater :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
You could get a short block and reuse the 3.2L parts like timing belt cover, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, intake and such.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If your pistons are contacting the valves the timing belt has broke or just jumped a tooth. This is an interference engine, which means the valves may have got bent.
Pulling the heads, replacing the valves and replacing the timing belt, would be much cheaper, then replacing everything and converting it to a 3.5. If it just jumped a tooth, pulling the heads may not be necessary. You would replace the belt to begin with. Lining the timing marks up again. Once it was replaced do a compression test. If compression is fine in all cylinders, finish putting it back together. If one or more pumps under 100 psi, the heads will need removed and a valve or two replaced. The compression test will let you know which cylnder(s) is problematic.
A haynes manual for the vehicle is a must to do the job correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I will look into these options. The car its self is in great shape, minus the engine problems. Anything to get this baby back on the road would be lovely.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If it was the 2.7 litre I may agree to change it over. The 3.2 is almost the same as the 3.5. The money involved to change it over isn't worth the cost difference IMHO.
About the only way I would decide to switch it over, is if it was an oil burner to begin with, or was knocking before this happened.

At rockauto the cost of the head gasket set is $129-$149. It contains all gaskets from the heads and up, as well as new valve seals. Head bolt set is $22-$44 (suggested to not reuse head bolts) timing belt is $20-$60 Exhaust valves are $10-$15 each, Intake valves are $6-$9 each. Most engines only bend one or two valves and usually the exhaust valves.
Water pump is $22-$54 (suggested to be changed because it's driven by the timing belt)

You probably won't even find a 3.5 engine for less then this. Even if you do, changing the water pump and the timing belt, while it's hanging in the air, is suggested. So this cost is automatically added no matter which way you want to go.
It doesn't cost anything to tear it down to see the extent of damage.
I would at least do this, then weigh your options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.