DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the serpentine belt on my van due to normal wear- but the next belt I put on started to seperate long ways and slap under the hood. It didn't do this until 2 weeks after I replaced it- with no noises at all before it happened. I figured it was a bad part- got another one from the same store- put it on- started the engine- made sure it was all in the belt tracks- and 2 weeks later - tap,tap ,tap- the 2nd belt did the same thing- started tearing apart long ways- along the length of the belt. Is there a part that fails and causes this. The original old belt was fine and intact when I changed it- why are the new belts tearing apart ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
What engine do you have? There has been an issue with the 3.0 throwing belts and Goodyear makes a great kit that replaces some of the pulleys to solve problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The wife's 2000 GC did that at about 30,000 miles, changed belts, did it again, under waranty, they changed the idler, bearings were going out and cocking it slightly which shredded belts.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
the idler and the tensioner are probably the culprits

I changed both of these and the problem went away even without using the aftermarket "fixes"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.