DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I am having trouble with my 2000 Grand Caravan. It was running great. I drove it to work and when I got back into it after 10 hours, it would not start. I turn the key and it has full power to lights, radio, dash, ect and I hear the fuel pump wind up but there is no turn over. Nothing, no sound from the engine at all. I've changed the starter (I suspected the Solenoid was bad), I've replaced the starter relay with a new one, I've checked and cleaned all the fuses under the dash and inside the engine (none were blown) and I've made sure the battery is fully charged. The only thing I haven't done is replace the connector for the starter (the one that comes out the large bundle of wires that is in the way when loosening the starter bolts). I'm not sure what else to try. Does anyone have any other ideas? This is a year 2000 vehicle and I don't want to have it towed to a mechanic and pay for their charge. If this was one of my daughters cars, I would tow it in a heart beat. This minivan has always been reliable but it's not worth much... monetarily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've also been reading that the gear indicator switch may be bad but the symptoms described are not mine. Please help

·
Registered
584 Posts
It could be a ignition switch, neutral safety switch/range switch, or a wiring issue. When you turn the key to the crank position, anything lit on he dashboard should turn off because the computer is sees the switch input. Look for that response and that will tell you if the computer even knows you're trying to start the van. Shift the transmission into neutral and then try starting it up. After that, it's time to party with a voltmeter and a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Assuming that you have the 4-speed transmission, there is no separate neutral safety switch. The transmission range sensor communicates which gear has been selected, and as long as the shifter is in P or N, the computer allows the starter to engage. If the transmission range sensor is working properly, then the blue box around P will light up, and none of the other gears will be selected. When the transmission range sensor has failed, the blue box will not appear, or all of the gears will be selected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone hold or listen to the starter relay in the relay/fuse center for a sound or feel of it being energized on your start attempts? do you have a V-O-M like a Harbor Freight $5.99 volt-ohm-meter for test from now? Also some small alligator clip leads.
I got to do a little seal install before I can crank up or test a few easy checks point under the dash or fuse center. A few voltage tests at those points on the start circuit can help point where the +12volts or a ground return is missing and you work towards where it is suppose to be coming from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Wits end

Under the hood right next to the battery is a fuse/relay box. Now up next to the spring tower is heavy wires coming out and in.. One of those wires is a fuse-able link that might have blown, it will have to be replaced or wired around.. I'n not sure, but I think it might be the problem your needing. On my 2000 GC it was wired around ( buy passed) everything worked but it was getting hot so I just replaced it. All fine still.
old pa

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I am having trouble with my 2000 Grand Caravan. It was running great. I drove it to work and when I got back into it after 10 hours, it would not start. I turn the key and it has full power to lights, radio, dash, ect and I hear the fuel pump wind up but there is no turn over. Nothing, no sound from the engine at all. I've changed the starter (I suspected the Solenoid was bad), I've replaced the starter relay with a new one, I've checked and cleaned all the fuses under the dash and inside the engine (none were blown) and I've made sure the battery is fully charged. The only thing I haven't done is replace the connector for the starter (the one that comes out the large bundle of wires that is in the way when loosening the starter bolts). I'm not sure what else to try. Does anyone have any other ideas? This is a year 2000 vehicle and I don't want to have it towed to a mechanic and pay for their charge. If this was one of my daughters cars, I would tow it in a heart beat. This minivan has always been reliable but it's not worth much... monetarily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fuse link

Hi Ratchet, Might be late for him, but just right for someone else reading this... All info. is good info if it helps to fix a problem. Last April I got my 2000 Dodge GCS and I just started reading things about it here and elsewhere. BCM went out ( my fault) and after pulling 7 or 8 at junkyard finally found correct one, number wise, Now most everything works again. Using my GPS for the speedometer, works, cheaper than the price of flashing the BCM right now.. You do what you have to do when you have to do it.. As for me - any answer anytime is a good answer for me or someone else no matter what the date is... nuf said by

1 - 8 of 8 Posts