DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why my 2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel on takeoff does fine but as I increase power the engine completely shuts down and engine light comes on but right away power starts coming back and I continue on my trip.

under a load it my do this two or three times before starting to run normal.

Chris

· Registered
2,425 Posts
Sounds like the lift pump is quitting on you, do you know your lift pump fuel pressure?
Turn your keyswitch On-Off-On-Off-On then look at your odometer for a trouble code and we'll discuss it.

· Registered
188 Posts
there are more codes then that that code just tells you that there is a code do the key on key off again and wright all the numbers down it will say done between codes but there will be more it will be done when the miles come back

· Registered
2,425 Posts
Like Dakotaking sez, the 1693 means a code exists and both the motor computer & the truck computer know about it.
If no other codes show up then it'll have to be scanned...some auto parts stores do that for free.
Have you checked the lift pump fuel pressure yet?

· Registered
2,425 Posts
It's worth a try as long as it's for OBDII diagnostics.

On the side of your injector pump is a black cap and under it is a Schrader Valve. A fuel pressure test kit for GM's is at many auto parts stores and will screw on the Schrader Valve to get you a pressure reading while the motor is idling.
Check My Gallery for pictures.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I finally got a gauge, cracking pressure is 15, at idle pressure starts at 11 then after it idles for a second pressure goes to 0

also I guess there is a conversion kit so the lift pump is in the tank, my truck is completely stock and the transfer pump/ lift pump is by the engine, is the transfer pump the same as the lift pump? because the auto parts do not show a lift pump for my truck. only the conversion kit lift pump in the tank.

thanks for your help

· Registered
2,425 Posts
Napa and OReilly auto parts have a replacement Carter delivery(lift) pump for your Dodge.

· Registered
188 Posts

· Older, but no wiser.
985 Posts
Please, please, please... spend the extra few bucks on an aftermarket pump like the FASS kit. The stock style lift pumps just cant handle the vibrations from the engine and they give out way too soon. When they do, the VP44 injection pump will pull fuel through them as you have seen. The problem is that the injection pump then fails very soon after and that is about $1600 to fix. As the filter company said..."Pay a little now or pay a lot later"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.