DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems with their 20" chrome's that come stock with their truck? The aluminumn edge of the wheels are chiping / oxidizing. I've had the truck for less than a year, 12K on it...only one winter. I talked with the service manager and he said they won't warranty it. My next step was to call him back and ask to speak to a Zone Rep. But I was wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went to my dealership and they covered it under warranty as long as I had under the 1 year/20,000 kms on it.Otherwise the wheel shop charges $50 per wheel to refinish the outer edge.It appears that the refinish job is better than the original because the clear seems a lot thicker and tougher.This is the same shop that fixes the wheels for the dealership.The dealer says they couldn't replace the whole wheel under warranty but could cover the cost of refinishing.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your post. I am on the phone with DC right now. They said to me its wear and tear. I replyed with your case, and said it's not to replace but to refinish the wheel and that was covered under your case. ON hold again......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, they came back and said there was no record of it at the dealer. So they advised me to call the dealer back and schedule to get it looked at (and they have to document it). Appears they never documented it, it was verbal. After that, I can call DC back and they will review it again (so I am guessing it depends on what the service manager writes). They change their position to "might" be able to help. I told them about refinishing it, but I am still not assuming the cost. Called the service manager back and left him a nice message to document it, even if he wants me to come back down. I've been nice so far, so hopefully they will work with me.

Anyone else have this problem? I would like to see if anything was warrantied or not?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28,800 Posts
Go to a different dealership. I had 3 of my 20 chrome wheels replaced at 11,000 miles because of bubbles in the chrome. They switched them out for free and didn't hassle me whatsoever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem with the chrome covers yet. Whats with the 1 year 12K warranty, I thought it was until 3 year / 36K? I may try a different dealer....waiting for the service managers and DC response.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Normal wear parts are 1 yr/12,000. This includes things like brakes, wiper blades, things of that nature. The 3/36 is everything else.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
I have pits on the outer ring of the rim. I have an aftermarket contract called EASY CARE and the whole truck is covered for 7/75 with a few exceptions. I thought I remembered seeing something in there about oxidizing and pitting of wheels. I was about to start the same thread. I will also check into it and repost.

·
Registered
234 Posts
First winter with mine and they are showing the same thing. :(

Justin

·
Registered
302 Posts
Cwoods.....Assuming this is the same dealer you bought the truck from, I'd have a face to face with my salesman and tell him my next truck will also be a Dodge but it won't be from his dealership. The true mark of a dealer is their course of action when a customer experiences a problem after the sale.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I may have a talk with him if things don't go well with the service manger. That is a true statement. I had a Chevy and every little problem I had the dealer fixed right away with no problems, no hassle. If I liked the style I would have bought a Chevy from him again. We'll see how it turns out....no call back yet from the service manager. I may send him an email also.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had one of my wheels replaced at about 30k because of bubbles in the chrome no problem. Try a different dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll keep you updated. I have 2 out of 4 that are really bad, the other 2 are just starting.....with one winter and about 8-9 months on the truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No big update yet. But I recieved an email back from the service manager saying he contacted his district manager and next time he's in, he will take a look at it (could be 2 or 3 months)......so I plan on calling DC today and letting them know that is not acceptable. Now is the season to have a nice shining truck! Anyway....I am also working on getting a second dealer to warranty it (my grandfather is a salesman for Dodge...I just found out).

·
Up The Irons!
279 Posts
Dodge's chrome sucks. My '04 came out of it's first winter this year with a rear bumper coated in surface rust. The dealership is replacing it without question, they just had to order it and I'm waiting to hear back when it gets there. My grille has a few spots where it looks like the chrome coating is flaking up away from the plastic. The paint seems pretty weak too. I cannot count the chips on my hood and front fenders. I have the exact same commute that I've had with every other vehicle I've had in the last 6 years and none of them ever got chips and nicks so fast. I wax it every 5 weeks or so, and wash it at least once a week. Seems like every time I wash it I find new ones. Damn shame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't had any paint issue yet (manufatuctures fault at least). I did have someone push my fender well a little which caused the paint to chip.....had the inssurance pay for that one...less the 500 deductable.

I plan on calling DC again today.......once a week or more till I get some resolution.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a a Daytona with the chrome rims......hopefully this doesn't happen to all of them but it sounds like it's a widespread problem...:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:

Talked with DC again today and let them know my problems and how they are being dealt with. I stated the 2-3 month wait to have the area rep look at them is not acceptable. The talked with the service manager, and he again stated it will be 2-3 months and he will give me a call. I told DC again, this is unacceptable. From there they asked me to call back the service manager and make an appointment to see the rep, that they will call the dealership again and request the local rep to schedule an appointment.

Also the sevice manager told DC that he wanted the local rep to make the decision because it looks to be envionmentally cause (winter conditions). So I responded to that by stating they should have some type of warning to the consumer if they want to purchase these wheels (in northern US) if they are going to break down after onen winter. Not to mention if I would have know this I would have picked another set of wheels and not the 20's.

So I stated again, I would like to meet with the local rep ASAP to resolve this issue. And it will not be an acceptable answer "it was caused by the environment you live in and will not be coverd under warranty".

If the winter conditions eat away the finish on your paint with 12K on the vehicle....do you think that's acceptable? If that happened I am sure they would do something to fix it.

I'll keep you updated.

Anyone else who has had these problems and coverd under warranty would be of great help. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: :VHOT:

I just got off the phone with DC. They told me the district manager denied this to be covered under warranty because it looks to be caused by the environment. WHAT NEXT???

I asked them to speak with someone at the next level and they said they have no information on who else I could talk to. The district manager has the say.

12K on a 40K truck and it looks like crap....and no help from them!

So what should I do next? Any help?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.