DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...first, I want to get my stock fog lights to work for this winter...the light switch works, it looks like the wires are going where they need to go, the relay is good, the fuse is fine and I have new bulbs in, but they won't go on. Is there something I'm missing?

And assuming I can get them to work...

Next spring I actually want to take out the old fog lights and maybe put in 4 rectangulars behind the grill and have them operate with the stock switch. Hopefully I can just take out the old ones and use the same wires to splice in the new ones. Would I have to get a new relay or a stronger fuse...is it even possible? I found some posts about putting lights behind the grill, but I couldn't find any by someone using the stock switch.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
607 Posts
The stock wiring is only 20 gage, so you really need something bigger for two sets (16-14 gage). You can wire a relay with the coil across the two wires of the existing fog light connection and take a feed from the PDC to power the lights, and it'll work with the existing switching.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey, I have the same problem with my 1999. Did you ever figure out the problem? I too have gone through the wiring, fuses, and switch. All looks good.. I'm stumped....Steve

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
like said above, a multimeter would be the best tool to further troubleshoot this problem...BUT, i would say check the ground connection on each light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I have done that but I get no power at the lights. I traced back to relay. The relay is working with the switch.(power there) Where does the power come from to the lights.(the relay?) Like I did say the fuse is good but no power to the lights.....power to switch... no power to lights.....HELP........

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done the multimeter thing too...everything seems to be fine except there is no power to the lights...is there a chance that maybe one of the wires going from the relay to the lights somehow got corroded on the inside? I had a buddy who had that happen to his battery connection on his S-10(but I just assumed it only happened to Chevys)...When first I bought the truck, it had the wrong lightbulbs in it and both where shattered...could the bulb connectors be messed up?

If only I hadn't slept through all those electronics classes in high school....grrrr...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW...thanks QCRam for the wiring info...if I ever get these things working that will come in handy

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I would check the relay for power. Disconnect the hot wire running to the fogs and see if you get voltage from that connector port.
Or, even have someone toggle the switch in the cab and see if you can hear / feel the relay opening and closing. It may be something as simple as the contacts in the relay being dirty. Happened once to me on a fuel pump relay (was my old 86 Ranger)...took a while to find.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had my daughter help with the toggling...the relay made a little click as the fog lights were turned on and off...to double check, I switched it out with the horn relay since they were the same. It made the little click and the horn works with the relay originally with the fog lights...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea, I did the same thing and yea the same "nothing" happened. Relay "clicks" but no power to the lights. I talked to a Dodge person and he said that it sounds like a wire broke somewhere (crap). I think I'll be rewiring from the fog fuse to the relay. Sounds eaiser than tring to find a broked wire. Well I have to get the plow bracket on first and then I'll be tackeling that problem. I'll let you know......

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
if you remove the bottom of the fuse box you can check the actual power wire that goes to the fogs for power, i have a feeling that the wire itself may be cut so if it were me i would remove that wire and replace it .

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Ken-nah-dee said:
I had my daughter help with the toggling...the relay made a little click as the fog lights were turned on and off...to double check, I switched it out with the horn relay since they were the same. It made the little click and the horn works with the relay originally with the fog lights...
that means that the relay itself is getting power, so the hot leg from the relay to the lights is severed somewhere between the relay and the lights, or between the relay and the fuseblock.
To simplify things, and fix the problem:
Get a fused lead from radioshack, run it directly from the battery to the hot input terminal on the relay.
With a fused lead it will not damage the wiring (in the event of it shorting to ground) even though you are by-passing the fuse block.

·
Registered
607 Posts
chizzle1 said:
that means that the relay itself is getting power, so the hot leg from the relay to the lights is severed somewhere between the relay and the lights, or between the relay and the fuseblock.
To simplify things, and fix the problem:
Get a fused lead from radioshack, run it directly from the battery to the hot input terminal on the relay.
With a fused lead it will not damage the wiring (in the event of it shorting to ground) even though you are by-passing the fuse block.
I think on the later years it'll be the other way up - there's a constant power feed from the relay to the lights, and the relay switches the ground side.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Big Joe...is it relatively easy to get the bottom cover off the fuse box? To be honest, seeing the big mass of wires coming out of there makes me a wee bit nervous about pulling the box out to get to the underside...I don't want to mess up anything that is still working.

Chizzle and QCRam...if the fear of messing too much with the fuse box gets to me, I'll be running to radio shack...

So far it appears that I'm a little on the confused side with reading schematics...I figured out the colors of the wires going from the fuse box to the lights...but I'm having trouble figuring out the colors of the wires going from the fog light switch to the fuse box?

And thanks to all for helping me struggle through this...I've been able to get by with some truck projects (changed brakes, new serpentine belt, put in new throttle body) but I'm still learning as I go...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well...I think I found a good solution to this problem...I just puchased on ebay a mopar foglight wiring harness assembly ($50 shipped) It comes with instructions and goes straight from the switch to the foglights. It has the fuse and fuse relay built into the harness, so I don't have to mess with the fuse box. More or less and plug and play kind of thing...

Hopefully I'll have it by Friday and install it this weekend, I'll post the results. Then at that point I'll probably be asking what I should do with the old wiring...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got these *******s working!!! After some laziness and then some really crappy weather, then getting sidetracked by my grill inserts, tonno and painting my dash trim, I found the issue with the fog lights. One of the connection plugs was so corroded that when I unplugged it to check it, all there was in there was some nice green powder...so I just totally cut the connecters off and got my soldering gun out. 5 minutes, 5 layers of electrical tape, stuffing the wires into that pastic tube thing and a couple layers of duct tape and everything was fine...

Although now I need to figure out what to do with the alternate set of fog light wiring...is it safe to just plug the wires into the same switch so I can have 4 fogs turn on at the same time?

Also...does anyone know of a good brand of bright blue bulbs? Are there anything that are compatable with the 896's?

Sorry it's been a while to post...

Attachments

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Ken-nah-dee said:
Finally got these *******s working!!! After some laziness and then some really crappy weather, then getting sidetracked by my grill inserts, tonno and painting my dash trim, I found the issue with the fog lights. One of the connection plugs was so corroded that when I unplugged it to check it, all there was in there was some nice green powder...so I just totally cut the connecters off and got my soldering gun out. 5 minutes, 5 layers of electrical tape, stuffing the wires into that pastic tube thing and a couple layers of duct tape and everything was fine...

Although now I need to figure out what to do with the alternate set of fog light wiring...is it safe to just plug the wires into the same switch so I can have 4 fogs turn on at the same time?

Also...does anyone know of a good brand of bright blue bulbs? Are there anything that are compatable with the 896's?

Sorry it's been a while to post...
easiest way would be to run the relay trigger for the second set off one of the hot wires for the current set.
That way when your turn the one set on, it triggers the relay for the second set.
All you would need is wiring to the lights from the second relay and a hot wire going from the relay to the bat.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet...thanks chizzle1...

Although it seems I may have to change my plans a little. My buddy says that I can't have more than 4 lights on at a time. So if I hook up two sets of lights to my stock foglight switch, I'd either be able to have the 4 fogs on, or just my main lights on. I wouldn't be able to do both.

So, I'm thinking I might just sell off the mopar wire harness and get two sets of 4" aftermarket foglights for the big spaces in the bumpers, use your advice to have them hooked up to one switch and then I'll have 6 fogs total. So then I can either have the 4 extra fogs on, or do the basic main lights/stock fogs combo...

Of course if someone cuts me off at night, they are getting all 8 lights in their rearview mirror...

Hmmmm...has anyone hooked up lights to the horn? It might be pretty sweet to have someone get flashed blind when I hit it...would that make me an a-hole?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.