DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
David- Please confirm this to be true or watercooler-speak. Also, forgive me, but I pulled this off of another Dodge chat site. They both sound good to me. The Durango, we all suspected it would happen (although the line about the Viper V10 sounds like silly playground gossip) but the Dakota SRT has been downplayed because the Hemi "won't fit".. Maybe they found the right shoehorn to use for the job. ==========================================================Quoted:

First off the yet to be announced to debut Dodge Dakota SRT-8. The Dodge Dakota SRT-8 will debut in concept form more than likely at next years Chicago Auto Show. The Dakota SRT-8 will be only available in a Club Cab model, have no idea if a Quad Cab SRT-8 model will debut after the introduction of the Club Cab model. The Dodge Dakota SRT-8 will feature the 6.1L HEMI V-8 featuring 425 horsepower and 420 ft-lbs of torque, streight from the Charger, 300C, and Magnum SRT-8 models. The new truck will feature 20" production rims, street tuned and lowered suspension, and I am hearing a 5-speed automatic transmission. No word of a six-speed manual yet. Expect the 4.56 rear end, tucked under Dakota SRT-8's bed from big brother Ram SRT-10. Word also has the truck having details as a factory tonneau cover and a small version of the Ram SRT-10's bed spoiler. Expect aggressive body styling from a SRT body kit. Functional ram air induction hood, as well as two racing bucket seats wrapped in leather. SRT engineers are working hard at getting this vehicle out, since the Dakota's fans have been absent w/ a performance package since 2003, w/ the Dodge Dakota 5.9L R/T.


2003 Dodge Durango HEMI RT Concept:

SRT engineers are also hard at work, on the yet to be announced Dodge Durango SRT... details are very sketchy as of now. My source said the was original Durango SRT Concept was to break from the HEMI in the Durango, and offer the 8.3L (505ci) "VIPER" V-10 in the Durango as an SRT-10 model. However, the Durango's small hood design proves threatening to this element. The 6.1L HEMI V-8 would be the more likely version of the Durango SRT model. All-wheel drive will once again be the basis for performance on this Durango performance vehicle, just as the pervious Dodge Durango 5.9L R/T was. Influences can be seen on the 2003 Dodge Durango HEMI RT Concept. Expect 20" rims, SRT tuned suspension, automatic transmission, leather buckets in the first two rows of seats, as well as a high rear gearing, similar to that of the Ram SRT-10's 4.56 gears, for making the Durango SRT, also a towing machine.
 

·
Jeep Driver
Joined
·
32,497 Posts
Well Jeff I am no insider, and all I know is a combination of rumors I hear or read, combined with my own knowledge of Chrysler and sense of where the market is moving. There is no one outside of DCX who can be 100% sure what they are going to do or when. They are a very secretive bunch up there. And that is good, because it keeps the competition guessing.;)

With that said, both rumors are probably almost entirely false. At this point, I'm reluctant to say I think there will even be a 6.1-liter Ram, HD or otherwise, before the redesign in 2008. I think it was planned for '06 but has been delayed due to rising gas prices.

A 6.1 Dakota? No way. If there is a Dakota R/T, and there probably WILL be sooner or later, I'd expect a high-output 4.7-liter V8 or possibly a 5.7-liter Hemi, with the latter being much less likely. One other rumor that has been going around, and could come into play here, is that the 4.7-liter V8 will be replaced eventually (a couple more years) by a smaller displacement Hemi V8. This would coincide with the introduction of the 4th generation Ram, and at that time we could see a Dakota R/T with that smaller Hemi, since by then the Dakota will be in its fourth model year and perhaps needing a sales boost.

A V-10 Durango is just extremely unlikely! A 6.1 Durango SRT-8 could happen someday, again only if fuel prices do not continue to rise, making such vehicles impossible to sell. A lot will depend on the success of the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8. If it does very well, I could see Dodge getting a Durango with the same basic setup. The Durango is up for a mild redesign in '07 or perhaps '08, and that would be a good time to introduce such a model if it were coming.
 

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
Joined
·
3,696 Posts
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dave. Thats pretty much what I thought also, but this is a somewhat "reputable" source so far on another Dodge site, and it blew me out of the water when he posted this. The Viper powered Durango is simply blasphomous, and the Dakota seems to be going a complete step into insanity with the 6.1.... You always seem to have the right answers, above our own instincts as well. Thanks again!

Lets hope we at least see the R/T that was shown at Chicago for production..
 

Attachments

·
Jeep Driver
Joined
·
32,497 Posts
hemi_dakota94 said:
Thanks Dave. Thats pretty much what I thought also, but this is a somewhat "reputable" source so far on another Dodge site, and it blew me out of the water when he posted this. The Viper powered Durango is simply blasphomous, and the Dakota seems to be going a complete step into insanity with the 6.1.... You always seem to have the right answers, above our own instincts as well. Thanks again!

Lets hope we at least see the R/T that was shown at Chicago for production..
That's a high output 4.7.......... it goes into production this fall. Dakota R/T owners are upset because it isn't really a worthy successor to the original Dakota R/T. (and I agree)

Earlier in the thread I said "Dakota R/T" about three times when I was referring to the possibilty (or lack of one) of a Dakota "SRT". I don't think a Hemi Dakota is coming in the short-term. If they bring out a smaller Hemi in a few years, then it may happen, who knows!
 

·
Jeep Driver
Joined
·
32,497 Posts
Oh one more tidbit I'd like to throw out... I researched and found out what "other" site you got that info from, and I should mention the person who posted it was same one who kept telling us the 2006 Charger in Car & Driver last fall was a decoy, and that the real car would look like the '99 concept. Well, we all know how that turned out. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe....
he seems to put on a professional show. Maybe he's the one that wrote the hillarious article of the Grand Cherokee SRT8 losing the 6.1 for a 4.7 HO, and all Grand Cherokees losing the 5.7 HEMI. Whats the sense of making schitt up if you're gonna be proven wrong in a few months?? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
It was talk about two years ago about the V-10 Durango and Dakota SRT earlier released. KeithO, PVOMan, SuperDuckie but never seemed to materialized.

The problem with the Dakota is modding the enginebay wheel well to shoehorned the Hemi engine to make it fit.

This is where PVOMan made a question to all if they would be happier with a force induction 4.7 ltr engine.

Why Durango? The V-10 engine update is underway and the as to the confirmation, as been confirmed. Why so quite? Let me explained the whys...it will have to share other platforms to saved the Viper halo car from termination due to the lack luster sells. The Durango, a new luxury sedan, and another sport Chrysler vehicle (think C or S on this one) will be on the added list sharing the same components. There is even a talked with a Jeep being added later. This will help in justifying and at the same time, keep the cost down. Building a halo car is expensive but is needed in making a name for the brand lines.

LATE EDIT: Jeep line, currently the Hemi JC is on hold as reported to Aifleet' which monitors plant production in the US market. TBD is listed for this vehicle. Dan has to ensure that the SRT Jeep can do what was advertised on a heavy AWD Jeep (0 to 60MPH under 5-seconds). Do you see the SRT Charger doing this recorded time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
hemi_dakota94 said:
Hehe....
he seems to put on a professional show. Maybe he's the one that wrote the hillarious article of the Grand Cherokee SRT8 losing the 6.1 for a 4.7 HO, and all Grand Cherokees losing the 5.7 HEMI. Whats the sense of making schitt up if you're gonna be proven wrong in a few months?? :D
Just for the record, the spiel on the GC losing the 6.1 was originally posted over on JeepsUnlimited.com .... on April 1st... it was purely an April Fool's joke but was copied to a few other forums by people who thought it was real (failing to read the rest of the thread).

Per the Durango SRT-8...

From Dan Knott, who is the director of the SRT division, in a recent interview on the Automotive Design and Production web site, as recently posted on Allpar.com:

"...I will never do a (SRT) Durango. It's too big, too heavy for me." But big and heavy aren't the only concerns. "We aren't doing a Stratus... Most importantly: We're not going to do cars that lose money..."

Now, who are you going to believe?


FreeLantz said:
Oh one more tidbit I'd like to throw out... I researched and found out what "other" site you got that info from, and I should mention the person who posted it was same one who kept telling us the 2006 Charger in Car & Driver last fall was a decoy, and that the real car would look like the '99 concept. Well, we all know how that turned out.
The site you mention seems to be plastered with a lot of "insider" information that in many cases is copied from other web site forum threads and not credited to where it came from. Sometimes the source is mentioned but in others the text is copied verbatum and his screen name is added at the bottom as if he was the original "author" or source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
hemidakota said:
LATE EDIT: Jeep line, currently the Hemi JC is on hold as reported to Aifleet' which monitors plant production in the US market. TBD is listed for this vehicle...
5.7 Hemi's for the Grand have never been on hold, they are currently being built. Planned 2WD versions of the GC for the second half of the 2005 model year were put on hold a couple months or more back.
 

·
Jeep Driver
Joined
·
32,497 Posts
ResumeSpeed, thanks for the info. You have confirmed what I believe about a couple things.;)

I am curious if there will be anything else for Durango fans to get excited about in coming months..... perhaps an "R/T" model with monochromatic trim and a slight boost in horsepower? This I could see a real business case for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
FreeLantz said:
...I am curious if there will be anything else for Durango fans to get excited about in coming months..... perhaps an "R/T" model with monochromatic trim and a slight boost in horsepower? This I could see a real business case for.
From what I have seen, no R/T or performance-enhanced model is currently in the works. I have seen most of the info on the 2006 line-up and it is pretty similar to 2005, other than MDS which I confirmed back in February.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
If they made an another R/T dak, it will be 4.7 HO with R/T badging and some sort of R/T wheels. It will be another truck for me to piss on:pissmonke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"for Me To Poop On!!"
 

·
Jeep Driver
Joined
·
32,497 Posts
ResumeSpeed said:
From what I have seen, no R/T or performance-enhanced model is currently in the works. I have seen most of the info on the 2006 line-up and it is pretty similar to 2005, other than MDS which I confirmed back in February.
Well shucks. The MDS is good news though. Thanks again for all the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
excuse me for saying so, but why is it so hard to put the 5.7 hemi in the dakota, we have a 5.9 in the 2nd gen dakota? but theres no way they would rival the 500hp 50,000 grand daddy srt-10 ram... that grand cherokee seems like its ganna plummet. i dont know about you guys... but a lowered grand cherokee seems to me that it would look awful.. thats like lowering a wrangler...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
lowering a wrangler. Haha. that's funny. There is only one way to go with such a vehicle. can you guess what that is? Up. that's right.
 

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
Joined
·
25,280 Posts
Alterocks said:
excuse me for saying so, but why is it so hard to put the 5.7 hemi in the dakota, we have a 5.9 in the 2nd gen dakota? but theres no way they would rival the 500hp 50,000 grand daddy srt-10 ram... that grand cherokee seems like its ganna plummet. i dont know about you guys... but a lowered grand cherokee seems to me that it would look awful.. thats like lowering a wrangler...
Didn't say the 5.7 would be too big.. but that the 6.1 would be. It's stated in the 2nd post (don't know of other post saying otherwise) that a 5.7 could go in it as an R/T.
 

·
Jeep Driver
Joined
·
32,497 Posts
Some Chrysler reps have been quoted as saying the 5.7-liter Hemi would not fit in the Dakota.....


Nobody believes them. :)
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top