DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I currently have 5" blocks with the stock springs in the rear (total of 2" lift with removing the factory blocks). My springs are starting to sag so I was looking at the option of putting the factory blocks back in and installing 2" lift springs. Where would be the best place to get the springs, based on quality, and price?? Also, would putting in the factory blocks, and also putting in a 2" add-a-leaf help me out at all, or would the stock springs still be shot?? Thanks.

Eric

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
An AAL is going to loose it's strength before too terribly long. It'll help with sagging springs, but only temporarily, and it'll also stiffen up your ride significantly.

SkyJacker, and Superlift both have replacement leaf springs. You can find lift blocks of just about any height just about anywhere, even ebay. Just make sure you don't get aluminum blocks. They tend to crack, crumble, or generally self destruct. I'd go with the 2" lift pack, plus a block of your choice.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
01_OffRoad said:
An AAL is going to loose it's strength before too terribly long. It'll help with sagging springs, but only temporarily, and it'll also stiffen up your ride significantly.....

I would hardly say "significantly". It does make it stiffer, but only slightly so. My 1500 with a rear skyjacker AAL is still not as stiff as a stock 2500, so I would hardly say significantly. I think the AAL would be a good way to go in your case.

Have you checked into spring re-arching? A lot of suspension shops can do it. Puts a stock spring pack to a normal curve so you get your original height back.

Are you stacking blocks in the rear now, or do you have a single 5" block. If you are stacking, I recommend going back to the stock block and either re-arching your springs, or inserting an AAL, or getting a new leaf pack. Either way, these options are better then stacking blocks, and probabaly better then even a single 5" block. With too much block in the rear, you could run into problems with your axle being pulled to far, which can result in axle wrap. You can correct it with a zero rate block (slanted block), but I think it is far better to use less block and more spring to acheive lift in the rear.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Silver_DodgeRam said:
I would hardly say "significantly". It does make it stiffer, but only slightly so. My 1500 with a rear skyjacker AAL is still not as stiff as a stock 2500, so I would hardly say significantly. I think the AAL would be a good way to go in your case.

Have you checked into spring re-arching? A lot of suspension shops can do it. Puts a stock spring pack to a normal curve so you get your original height back.

Are you stacking blocks in the rear now, or do you have a single 5" block. If you are stacking, I recommend going back to the stock block and either re-arching your springs, or inserting an AAL, or getting a new leaf pack. Either way, these options are better then stacking blocks, and probabaly better then even a single 5" block. With too much block in the rear, you could run into problems with your axle being pulled to far, which can result in axle wrap. You can correct it with a zero rate block (slanted block), but I think it is far better to use less block and more spring to acheive lift in the rear.
I may have read his post wrong.... I thought he mentioned a 2" AAL. I've got a 1 1/2" AAL from ProComp on my truck. It stiffened it up a bit, but not to the point where it's not bearable. I've seen a few of the 2" or better AAL's before, and they are THICK. That translates into a stiffer ride. Not trying to start a war, just my $0.02.

Another option to prevent axle wrap is with a ladder bar set up. If you take your time and do it right, you shouldn't inhibit rear travel either.

One problem with going with a new lift spring pack is that the ride is going to be stiffer. Weather it's with more springs, or more arch in the springs, either way you'll be getting a stiffer ride. Different spring packs from different companies ride different. Check for anti-friction pads between the spring packs, angled end cuts, etc to find a good set of springs.

Probably your best RIDING option is to either re-arch your factory springs back to factory (don't know much of anything about re-arching springs), or find a new factory height spring pack and do the block. If you're worried about axle wrap, do the ladder bar(s).

Again, just my $0.02 :gr_patrio

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I currently have 5" blocks in the rear, giving a total of 2" of lift. I'd like to stay with the 2" of lift in the rear, so I am considering putting my stock 3" blocks back in and adding a 2" AAL, but if the AAL itself will not help out with the sag at all then I will get my springs re-arched. I was quoted a price of $380 to re-arch my springs, add a 2" AAL, and included in the price is all new hardware. I don't really have $380 to spend, that's why I was wondering if just adding the AAL would help my sag. Thanks for all the help.

Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.