DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.....I need to find out what module #'s I need for getting a 3.5 engine computer for the swap . & where can I get the module used & cheep? Where is the engine vin #?!?!.......Help!

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
You dont need a new computer for the swap. Just use your 2.7's computer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no new computer needed?!

It has the old 2.7 puter in it but runs rough especially if not accelerating or decelerating. Smells like gas also. Could it be something else? of course it could!! But you're saying it shuld run fine without the 3.5 computer?

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
BluesHarp said:
It has the old 2.7 puter in it but runs rough especially if not accelerating or decelerating. Smells like gas also. Could it be something else? of course it could!! But you're saying it shuld run fine without the 3.5 computer?

Definitely could be something else. Crank sensor, cam sensor, spark plugs, injector, intake manifold vacuum leak, etc. I have done about 60 of these 2.7-3.2/3.5 engine swaps and never used any other computer than the original 2.7's computer, including my own car.

Is the check engine light on? Any trouble codes? Also, what year is the car, and the engine you installed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Man! Saved me from getting another computer!
The engine light blinks constantly except when decelerating then it remains lit for a little while. Soon it starts blinking again. I will have to have the engine codes checked by a mechanic who's worked on it before the swap. It's a 2000 intrepid but I'm not sure what year engine. (the guy who put it in & I had a falling out over his 3 month endeavor to install it.....havent paid him yet & probably wont....lol) I do know the engine has only 68,000 miles on it. Any more suggestions before taking it to the mechanic?

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
If you do the "key dance" you can find out what the codes are right now:

Turn the ignition key on and off 3 times, the third time leave it in the on position. Any stored trouble codes will display on your odometer. Write them down and post them. I can tell you now you have a misfire code at least. The flashing check engine light means a misfire has occurred that could possibly damage the catalytic converters.

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
P0206 = Injector control circuit, cylinder 6
P0306 = Misfire detected, cylinder 6
P1684 = Battery disconnected within the last 50 ignition cycles

Sounds like a possible bad injector. Check the injector's electrical plug too. This could be the case especially if the engine you installed sat for awhile.

Dont worry about the P1684, that means nothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.