Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Here's a new one...

I just completed a second swap. I originally put a 3.5 H.O. in a '99 Concorde with a bad 2.7. Got a total loss after 1 1/2 mos. Drove 5 mos. under salvage title. No problems except for that [email protected]# power steering code. Bought a '00 Intrepid with another bad 2.7 for $400.00 bucks. Installed underdrivfe pulley, JBA headers, high flow cats, x-pipe, true duals to 40 series flowmasters. Sounds good, runs like a raped ape. One problem.... I picked the car up from the muffler shop Monday and towed it home. Tuesday, decided to drive the car to work. 2.5 miles and the car died running 60 mph. No Codes! Oil pressure light came up but I'm not sure if it was just because the key was turned over. It didn't come on before the stall. Checked oil. Full on stick.
Got back in car, restarted and drove on to work. That evening, comming home. 2.5 miles.... dead! Waited 60 sec for computer to reset. Restarted and drove home with no more problems. Next morning.... Same spot... dead. This time I was at idle in traffic. The next morning.... 2.5 miles... dead. This morning.... same spot.... dead. Still no codes, wait 60 seconds, refire and no more problems. Any ideas? Makes no sense to me! Is it the temperature outside? When the temp comes up on the motor it shuts down? The only difference is the computer and the few mods I did. I would have pulled the Concorde computer but it shows 131,000 miles. The Trep only has 90k.

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
Sounds like this may be a crankshaft sensor failing or the auto shutdown relay opening hot. Replace the crank and cam sensors to start with. Computers are not interchangeable unless the vin is changed in the donor computer...but I doubt that is your problem.

There is an easy fix for that power steering code if you still are getting it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Must be the computer....

Daytrepper,

Thanks for your reply. Before I swapped out the sensors I thought I would try the computers first. Since neither car came with the gray keys I figured it wouldn't be a problem. I asked the dealership if they would change the vin to the '99 computer and they said they thought on that older computer the vin would probably be burned into the eprom and wouldn't take the '00 interpid vin. I made the swap last saturday. The car started and has run fine all week. No cutting off at the 2.5 mile mark. It did start throwing that same code for the power steering pressure!? I swapped back computers yesterday and this morning comming to work it shut down again in the same place as before. So, I'm going to swap out computers permanantly with the '99. I would like to know how to remove the power steering check! I can't believe I never got it with the '00 computer.

Thanks again!

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
The 99 ECU probably had the circuit for the power steering sensor, and the 2000 did not.

If your car originally had the power steering sensor, its just a matter of grounding a wire to stop the code. Heres how:

1. Locate your two main engine harness
connectors at the left front of the engine, to the rear of the alternator.
2. Unplug the smaller connector, which is the furthest one back.
3. On the vehicle side of the harness, cut away the electrical tape on the back of the plug and unsnap the cover.
4. There will be a light-blue wire with a green stripe on it in the bottom right corner of the plug. This is the power steering switch wire.
5. Cut the wire about 1 inch from where it mounts into the plug.
6. Attach a 12" piece of 14 gauge wire to the one you just cut with a butt connector.
7. Locate the engine harness ground bolt on the drivers side cylinder head, about half way back. There will be several wires grounding here already.
8. Using an eye terminal, connect your jumper wire to the ground bolt, grounding the p/s switch circuit, and fooling the computer into thinking you have a p/s signal.
9. Clear the codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Dan,

I took the small connector apart as you described. There was no light blue wire (14 gauge) with a green stripe in the lower bottom right of the connector. There was a white plug in that terminal location. The wire next to the terminal plug was a dark green wire (18 gauge?) with two light green stripes on it. I just wanted to make sure before I cut this wire as it is a different color and is the second terminal location from the bottom right.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes,
I ran the car for a week with the '99 concorde ECM. I didn't have a problem anymore with the car shutting down @ 2.5 miles. Only problem was the P/S check. I reinstalled the harness plugs to the '00 ECM for one more try and low and behold.... 2.5 miles, dead! So, I physically removed the '00 and replaced it with the '99 ECM. I got your message on the two black engine harness plugs behind he alt. I untaped the smaller bundle, unclipped the keeper and found no blue wire with the green stripe. Only a gray/white? plastic insert in the terminal location (lower right bottom) where the wire you described would be inserted into the back of the plug. Could it be that the '00 car wouldn't even have that wire since I never got a code for it on the original ECM? Very puzzleing.
Thanks!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.