DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 SS/T that I want to lower. Does anyone have any pics of the 2/4 kit and the 3/5 kit? Also does anyone know anything about Western Chassis quality?

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
I've been tossing this one around in my head for a while, because a slight drop is probably next on my list of things to do - then a set of wheels

I have talked to several Dodge owners who have used Western Chassis and heard no problems. I did talk to one owner who said he had tried both WC and Bell Tech, and in his opinion - Bell Tech had better quality parts over WC

The questions I have fired to owners of 3/5 drops has been mainly over ride quality, and - some people have told me you need to change the tranny mount, and others said you dont have to ....

(If I have one anal quality about putting parts on my ride, I guess its that I research the heck out of them before I buy them....)

Most people that do the 2/4 drop seem to use springs in the front and shackle / hangers in the rear

I already have the 2" dropped shackles in the rear and have wondered if I added 2" dropped leaf springs - for a total of 4" drop - How the ride quality would be ... (cant find anyone else who has done that)

You will need to swap shocks - which add about 30 - 40 bucks each to the price....

I also know that WC is THE ONLY company that offers an adjustable shackle hanger set up

You will need (and from what I understand - comes with the "kit") new bump stops -

Just for the rear on a 2/4

front and rear for a 3/5

all that said, I think I'll be ordering Bell Tech parts from Stylin Concepts right after I get some tax money back... when I called them last week, their Bell Tech 2/4 drop was $224 (plus I'll have to buy the shocks) - its one of the best prices I have found so far

If you have some specific price quotes - let me know

I've decided for my application - I'm just going with 2/4 - mainly because I have the RTT front bumper cover and my truck is a daily driver....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'm leaning towards the 2/4 kit because I'm not sure if my tires will clear with the 3/5. Anybody running 275/60's with the 3/5 drop? I found the Western kits for 259 for the 2/4 and 269 for the 3/5. Does Bell Tech offer a 3/5 kit?

·
Banned
134 Posts
Ram Man and JD,

I have a 3/4 drop kit on my 99 Ram made from Chasis Tech peices. They have adjustable shackles as well. The kit, including 4 Toxic drop shocks and new spring cushions, came to a grand total of $250 or $275. The kit took me about 8 hours to install by myself. I didn't use use any special tools but in hindsight I should have soaked the shock hardware and suspension hardware in penetrating oil for a few days prior to the install. The hardest part of the install was removing the rivets that hold the rear leaf spring hanger to the frame. I tried using an air chisel but it took to long so I opted for the oxy-acetylene torch. The ride quality was still very good with the exception of the sharp, small bumps once and a while. If you guys need more info, let me know.

[email protected]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
paratrooper,

Does Chasis Tech have a web site or anything? That is a great price for shocks and everything. What size of tires are you running and do you have any pictures of it?

·
Banned
134 Posts
I purchased my kit through a distributor, maybe Autobahn. Anyway, I found it in Truckin' magazine. I'm running 18" Boyd Coddington Smoothie II's and a P275/55R18 as I reckon. It may have been a 265. I haven't seen my truck in 5 months and because of this I don't have any pictures. I get nothing but compliments on my truck. I love the wheel/tire/drop setup I have.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you happen to have the part #'s on the stuff you used? This looks like the way I'm going. Has anyone used their traction bars?

·
Banned
134 Posts
Hey JD,

Sorry I can't help you much as I'm in Afghanistan. My trucks scrap book is at home in Minnesota. If you call either AIM Industries or Autobahn and tell them the make model and year of the truck, they will tell you how much the kit costs.

Hold On------------------

I just found a copy of Truckin' magazine. Autobahn is the company I purchased my kit through. Their email address is www.Zmotive.com They are part of another company that wholesales. Thus the email address zmotive. The kit for a 94-up Dodge Ram that includes lowered front coil springs, shackles and hangers sells for $169.99. That was hands down the best price I could find. I searched for the best kit for over a year. I was extremely happy with how the kit installed and how all of the parts fit. That price is for a 2"-4" or a 3"-4" kit. You can call them at 1-866-240-1327. Just ask if you need anything else.

·
Chix Ride
1,651 Posts
hey i have a 3/5 drop i got it from chasiss tech and i ordered bags from them too
and i had the factory wheels and tires at first but now i have 18's
but the factory tires were huge and they cleared....
and i am gonna sell my drop that i have cuz i wont need it when its bagged:)

·
Banned
134 Posts
GG,

You said that you had a 3-5 drop you are going to sell. Did you have to have to install a C-notch in the rear frame rails? Just wondering because I've never seen a 5" rear drop on a ram done right without a C-notch.

·
Chix Ride
1,651 Posts
NOPE!!! no C-notch i sware it bottoms out but ive had it like this for over a year...I had to cut bump stops its a rough ride...
its bout to get a C-notch though cuz im baggin it....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When are you going to sell your 3/5 kit? Im going to order a kit in the next 2 weeks. Do you ever pull a trailer? I was thinking the 3/4 that way the rear has alittle cushion to squat when I pull my trailer. Do you have any pics?

·
Chix Ride
1,651 Posts
hey im gonna be sellin my kit now...my truck goes in the shop 2/10 so we can do the bags...umm no trailer my truck is a daily driver for now....I show it! mine is to low to pull a trailer..i took a leaf out too....
at the bottom of my sig is a link to my site go check it out....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much are you looking to get out of the kit? Now I wonder about pulling a trailer?

·
Chix Ride
1,651 Posts
well it was 300 when i got it.....but ill take 150
duno bout the trailer like i said i would never pull one with mine
cuz its for show and i took leafs out so my ass is to low

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.