Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New member here; just bought a 2010 Avenger SXT with the 2.4 VVT engine and 40K miles. Dodge specifies 5W-20 oil but I'm thinking about using 0W-20 synthetic for the winter months as I live in Wisconsin. Any thoughts? Thanks!

We've had the car for not quite a week and so far so good. The last Mopar my family owned was a '76 Volare and after 35 years I think it might be safe to go back in the water.;)

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,343 Posts
Hi Brad,
First off, welcome to DodgeTalk! Lots of good folks here with lots of info. Definitely take advantage of searching and reading the forums, even other model lines...

I think 0W-20 will be fine up there in WI. Living here in TX, I run 5W-30 Mobil 1 in the wife's 08 Avenger. It also has the 2.4 VVT. Check my intake mod, it's posted around here somewhere...the link is in my sig.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I checked out the airbox thread and it looks interesting. What's the Filtermag SS300 you list in your sig? If I could get 37 MPG on the highway I'd be ecstatic!

Brad

·
Buy American
509 Posts
I'd stay with the recommended 5w20. Chrysler recommends it and Chrysler holds the warranty?

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,343 Posts
Hi Brad, the Filtermag is a really strong magnet device that sticks to the oil filter. It pulls any ferrous stuff out of the oil as it flows through the filter. When you change your oil and filter, you pull the Filtermag off the old filter and slap it on the new one. They cautioned me to NOT pull it off the old filter until doing the oil change. I've cut a filter open before and you can see an outline of the magnets on the inside of the filter case...
http://www.shopfiltermag.com/ My outlines weren't as dramatic as the ones on their site, but you get the idea.

·
1st. Gen RAM Enthusiast
572 Posts
I read an issue of Mopar Muscle a few years back, and I remember them saying that the first number is the cold weather tolerance in degrees. For example, a 10W-30 will have a better cold weather performance than,say, a 0W-50. Stick with the 5W-20. It will have good all around performace under a wide range of condidtions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I run 0W-20 in my Avenger when it's warmer with no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.