DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put 18" rims and tires on and was wondering what are the best products to drop the truck 2/4. Not that crazy about lowering the truck but if I want the whells to look right I have to do it. I just worry about the truck not handling properly or the ride being to rough. I know it's a truck but I don't want to drive a tank!

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
probably should check in to Bell Tech - from what I hear they are the best in the lowering business ...

Springs and shackles / hangers ought to do it

If you are overly concerned about loosing some quality in the ride - ask about lowered spindles - Costs a bit more.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just want a wider track on my truck so that it stays on the road. Not a little kid anymore and spinning tire is an absolute waste of good hard earned money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed a 2/4 drop on my Dodge. It was by Bell (front spring + rear shackels). Looks great with 17's , rides great, and looks awesome. I'll post some pics later today.... The unvailing of the 97 SS/T. You see it first guys!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice looking. I wonder if my truck is already lower than regular 4x2's because it's a sport. It looks like it sits lower than the regular dodge trucks of the same year? Anyways I like it, I have family in midwest city. Just visited there in the beginning of sept.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Beautiful truck How much did it cost for the kit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice lookin SS/T. I have an even drop on my 1500 short bed I used Eibach 2" lowering springs in the front and belltech 2" shackles in the rear. I also installed polyuretane bushing throughtout the truck. If your really serious about handling than defenitly call Hellwig up and order one of their sport truck rear sway bars about $124.00 plus tax etc. Every company I talked to about suspension Hotchkis,Eibach, and even some guys from autocross all recommend small drops versus excessive so that your suspension reacts and handles properly. Which they also say not to go any bigger than 18's on a ride. Tire flex is reduced without the harshness of a wagon. Good luck!!!! I hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got a friend who works at PepBoys down here and he had a costumer who had come in, an older man, who has a 98 Ram that he bought for his wife that had been lowered and fitted with some larger rims/tires. The tires were new Goodyears 275/60/17, the same as mine, and the drop kit was a Bell Tech. I bought all four tires plus the drop kit for $100. A steal.

·
Banned
134 Posts
I lowered my 99 ram with Chasis Tech products. It was a 3''/4" kit. I have 17" Boyd Coddington wheels on it with some low profile tires. I thought that the kit would take it to low but when it was installed, I was wanting a little more-maybe an inch or so more. The hardest part of the install was torching out the rivets on the rear hanger (after removing the fuel tank, of course). It took me the better part of the day to install by myself. It probably could be done in a few hours with two or three more people. The Chasis Tech parts worked wonderfully and the whole kit cost me about $180 and the Toxic shocks cost me about $60. The extras stuff I used was spring cushions ($7) and stainless grade 8 nuts and bolts ($10-$15) instead of the zinc plated hardware that the kits include. Good luck on your project.

If you need more info, contact me at [email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.