DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys in a little bit i am going to pick up my 2/4 mcgaughys drop with spindles up front. what is the install time on this? think me and another friend can install in 6-8 hours? gotta meet tomorrow and dont wanna not be able to bring the truck!

On the flip rear shackle, which hole is the 4'' drop and which is the 4.5''? stock shocks will be fine in the front correct? any tips on doing the rear, do both at the same time, or take it one at a time? anything i might need to know or tips for any part of it?

thanks Richard

·
You Gotta PAY To PLAY
1,995 Posts
the top hole in the schakle will be the 4.5" and the bottom hole will be the 4". If you have help you should be able to get it done within 8hrs. i did mine by myself and got it done in 8hrs. and thats with breaks and goofin off.
also on the rear I would do one side at a time to keep the rearend located in the correct spot. Make sure to have two people on the leafs! They are HEAVY!!! also make sure to have your stock perches welded before you get on the throttle otherwise you will be in a world of hurt!

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doing one side at a time dont put everything in a bind? making the opposite side harder to come out? anyone know the torx head size and bolt sizes of the top of thier heads do they?

install dont seem that hard, figured we could have it done in 6 hours or so with no breaks. did headers in three hours working slow, and put headers on twice. ha ( dont ask)

·
You Gotta PAY To PLAY
1,995 Posts
No it will be fine to do one side at a time. The torx head size is a t55 and make sure its a SHORT one otherwise it will not fit between the frame and the shackle.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
yeah, and when he says one side at a time, un bolt bolth shackels, then do one leaf at a time, then the new shackles make sense?

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yead that makes more sense, thanks charger. is there an install diagram that shows were everything goes on the rear, i am pretty certain on most things. but how to's or instructions are always good too!

thanks for the torx size, any torque specs to worry about?

·
Registered
31,160 Posts
If you have a Sears or Sears Hardware around - thats where I got my T55 from. Don't get the craftsman, its too long. They have some off brand there (its like 4-5 bucks). It fits.

Autozone......their's are too long too.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when we did my buddies 2'' shackles in the back, he just reversed the bolt, good or bad?

·
Registered
31,160 Posts
well..........according to Slammed1 - thats a no no.

Now........not sure if it matters. He said it could cause squeaking - well they squeaked like mad for me and I had it on the right way. :crazy:

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ha well we lubbed them extra good. so far seems to be working good for him. did not have the room to get it on the right way.

guess i will attempt it, will be my first vehicle i have ever dropped. but hell if i can tear a motor down to the block and put it bach together i should be somewhat alright.

hope some of you are online alot;)

·
You Gotta PAY To PLAY
1,995 Posts
I am quit a bit so if ya need help just let me know. I will be more than happy to help.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok mike, i appreciate that. how hard is it to knock the upper and lower ball joints loose?

and in 67charger's install pics, when he shows the rear i see everything i have, except for one. little half moon H looking peice? would those happen to be the shock extenders? ha, please say yes, cause those had me a little worried!

·
You Gotta PAY To PLAY
1,995 Posts
Yeah no problem. I did the springs in front so charger would prolly be a better guy to ask that question but as far as the half moon things...yes those are the rear shock extenders.

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i got some drop shocks, so we can toss those out the window.

thanks man, be on the look out for potential problems or somekind of success, thanks guys, dt ftw!!!!!!!!

·
You Gotta PAY To PLAY
1,995 Posts
ok will do man. You doin it tonight!?

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no starting tomorrow at 7 in the morning, hoping to be done by lunch or 1. so i can wash the truck for our DT meet at 4:30. thanks mike i appreciate your help. you dont happen to know all the socket sizes for the nuts do you? ha

one more thing i just thought of, is there a right and a left for the spring perchs with the flip? thanks, off to bed!

·
You Gotta PAY To PLAY
1,995 Posts
Well I do know you will prolly need a 10mm socket to hold the bolts from spinin on the tie rod end and the sway bar and that the rear bolts for the shackles are a 21mm but thats it. As far as the perches go... no there is not a right or left. I will be up and on here early. but if im not and you need help I will pm you my cell number.

·
11 sec club
6,067 Posts
It should go easy Richard. You have all the info you need in here. :tup:

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks again guys, fun is soon to begin.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Make sure you post up some pictures after you're done! I'm getting ready to do mine (hopefully in the next few weeks).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.