DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I just joined this forum since my wife and I are brand new owners of a 2017 Ram 1500 (Tradesman, 4x4 Hemi, Crew Cab w/ 6'4" box).

We are loving having something this nice, and it is basically our dream truck (otherwise I would not have considered new). I already have a short laundry list of mods to do that will help personalize the truck for my tastes: 2" leveling kit up front with black 20" rims and beefier AT tires, bolt on riveted black fender flares, black running boards, K&N Cold Air Intake, eventually LED Halo Headlights and LED Taillights, and possibly adding the LED bed lights if it's easy (or possible - I'll leave that for another post).

There is only one issue I have with the tradesman trim level, and that is the black plastic front upper bumper cover/spoiler. I got the bright silver exterior color, and the black in that spot makes the truck look unfinished in my opinion especially since I have the chrome appearance group. I do think that black with silver will look sexy when I'm done with all the mods, so I was originally thinking that perhaps when I put the flares on, it will help hide the cover. But then I figured why not just make all the body color the same and replace or paint the bumper cover itself? I attached a picture from the dealer so you can see what I'm talking about.

I read on another forum that the problem with the OEM grey or black textured non painted plastics is that it is very hard to get the paint to stick especially in areas that cant be fully sanded. Thus it's recommended to find a primed one and then have it color matched. Most of the online parts shops haven't updated the parts for 2017, but I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) there is any difference between the 2015 and 2017 body exterior. I think that the OE replacement number for the cover/spoiler is 68197697AA, and I found one for pretty cheap on CarID (search Replace® CH1014108V). Is this the correct thing I am looking for, or is there an easier way, i.e. taking a bright silver bumper cover from a SLT or the like?

Thanks for any help you all can offer, and I look forward to being a part of the online community here at Dodge Talk! :rck:

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
I know this is a little old, but maybe I can help. I had the black textured upper bumper cover on my 10 ST painted body color and it held up fine. The shop used an adhesion promoter, then used a couple coats of filler primer. They sanded a little, then color matched and clear coated. I honestly think it was holding up better than some of the factory painted ones.

If you decide to buy a primed cover, anything 13-17 should interchange.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
My friends bodies shop painted the rubber door protection bump stops. Wish I had thought to get him to paint the rest of the black plastic around the truck.

edit: I've also seen where folks have used a heat gun on the surface of the plastic to bring it back to looking new. You can find some video clips on YouTube that show up the "How To". You just have to be very careful how much heat you put on the surface of the plastic. When you see the clips, you won't believe just how easy and how good it looks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.