DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Slow Rider
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just turned 800 miles. As this is my first CTD, how far did you go before the first oil change? With all the other stuff I have had new, I usually go about 500 or 600 miles, before changing the oil. (and filter)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Many feel that the first change on a new engine should be done early at around 1000 miles. I'm not so sure thats really needed any more. Machining tolerances and prerun at the manufacture have reduced engine break in considerably. I never see the metal shavings on the plug magnet on first change as I did on engines in years prior.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
At between 2000 and 3000 miles your truck will TELL you to change the oil. I would wait till the message comes up.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
At between 2000 and 3000 miles your truck will TELL you to change the oil. I would wait till the message comes up.
That varies widely and the first message is often too early. The computer uses time, mileage and style of driving to decide when to post the Oil Change Required message. In my case it came on at 1200 miles. The reason was because the build date of the vehicle was Feb. 07 but I purchased it new in Sept. 07. The message was primarly because of time. There are no sensors in the oil itself as some of thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts