DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preference this by saying that I am not an audiophile. Both my miata and my Durango have stock audio everything. I do like good sound. I have a Onkyo DS-575 receiver with Miller and Kreisel bookshelf speaker. Nothing really insane, but decent sound on a budget. Its not much for the big thump, but it sounds really good to me.

My neighbor has an Ford Excursion in which he put Pioneer 3 ways into the front doors and 2 ways into the 2nd row doors. He was running everything off of the stock head unit, no amp and it sounded really good. I’m looking to do the same thing, but on more of a budget. Our Durango is mostly used as a tow vehicle for our boat, so its kind of a party-mobile. The wife likes to make party mix cd’s with lots of hip hop and pop music (50 cent, Blink 182, Trick Daddy), so I would like to optimize the system for that kind of junk, I mean music.

I would like to do something on the cheap, like my neighbor. Also, I don’t know a darn thing about installing stuff, but since my buddy did his door speakers, I’m sure he’ll be able to walk me through mine. I really don’t want to add a sub, as there is really not that much room. I could do an amp, if you think it is important, but I’d rather just spend my money on speakers. Also, the stock head unit is not the typical rectangle, so it would likely be a PITA to replace.

Budget: As cheep as possible but lets put 200 as a target number (maybe this is unreasonable, I don’t know. I’m thinking some ebay shopping).

Summary:

Should I do all 4 doors or just spend the money on the front 2? We usually have all three rows filled. Although I think my sound should be better than the freeloaders in back! Also, what size speakers do I put in?

What kind of speakers should I put in? Does my neighbors 3-way front, 2-way in the back sound like a plan? Again, we’re talking bang for the buck.

I’ve heard that co-ax speakers are good for a budget system. Correct?

Should I do an amp? If so, what kind.

By the way, I understand that this will not be an amazing system. Can I get a significant improvement for this type of budget?

Thanks-Bill

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
IMHO you need the front and rears replaced with Diamond Audio D3 coax sets.......later on when you get the "bug bite" you can add the amp and sub

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.