DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My son took our 91 1st. gen away to college with him:frown and it is to a place that gets freezing temps during the winter! I am not used to this since we live in Phoenix and well it doesn't get THAT cold here! What precautions do I need to take to get it to start and run during cold weather?? It will be parked in a open parking garage. It is the one battery set up. Any and all help greatly appreciated. If there are any threads I have missed please send them my way.
Thanks!

·
1973 Dodge B100
9 Posts
Not sure if his 91 uses the same intake manifold as used in the 70s, but I solved my cold weather issues by having my manifold on my 73 318 cleaned out, carbon buildup had completely blocked the ports that circulate the warm air up around the carb, after this was corrected the van started & ran pretty great. Of course the 1st thing I fixed was replacing the choke system.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I live in Wisconsin and use Mobil 1 synthetic 0w30. Your engine will crank over just fine even at 10 and 20 Deg F below zero with your car outside.

Check your antifreeze with a hydrometer to make sure you are close to -40 Deg F.

All weather tires, in decent shape.

Make sure you always have warm clothes in the van for emergency breakdown, hat, gloves, scarf, coat, boots, and a flashlight would not hurt. Never underestimate the cold. It is easy to go from a warm room, jump in the car and "just" go to the store down the street wearing a light jacket, low cut shoes and no gloves. Even if you are only a half mile from home and have a problem were you have to leave the car. You will be very cold very quickly.

Make sure your spare is good and full of air. Jack and lug wrench.

Something to put down on the snow if you have to change a tire or look under the car. I keep a thick piece of cardboard for emergency's.

Some sand and a small shovel if you get stuck and or a tow strap to get pulled out of a ditch. The shovel is used to throw sand under the drive wheel for traction and also used to dig yourself out. Shoveling the snow out from around the wheels and throwing sand down there can save you a tow.

Never go below 1/4 tank of gas. If you are stuck in the cold you may be there for awhile.

Jumper cables.

A cell phone and a credit card goes a long way for help.

And of course a DD girlfriend to keep your ears warm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts