DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here goes, its late and i'm drunk. Yes I just bought my 1st dodge. I made the switch because the chevy I drive at work is a money pit. ( Im 46 & always been a chevy man). No pics yet, just got it yesterday. This looks like a great fourm and looks like some pretty smart people on here so i just have a few questions about my "new/old" dodge. Its a 1997 Ram 1500 reg cab with a 5.9L with 57,000 miles. The truck looks damn near new. The people I got it from took great care of it. It almost looks like a candy apple red paint job. They told me there was a problem with the orignal paint, that it was peeling and was sent back to the factory for new paint. Anyone heard of a recall on paint? I can feel a thumping in the steering wheel, I cant quite tell where its comming from, steering column looks pretty whimpy, u-joint maybe, suspension problem, I dont know. Its more noticeable at faster speeds. anyone got any ideas? The Previous owner switched to synthetic at 6,000 miles, he said the tranny had the orignal chrysler product in it because anything else would ruin the tranny. I found a receipt that stated he put synthetic ATF fluid in it. Whats the word on these trannys? One other thing, the belt tensioner sounds like its grinding ball bearings. Is this the pulley or what? I love my new truck and i'm ready to dig in. Thanx in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
503 Posts
What do your tires look like? Last time I felt a thumpping in my steering wheel it was a seperated tire.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Congratulations on your first Ram :tup: , and WELCOME to DT. :wavey: My tranny has 132000 miles on it and gives me no problems, but others have had some. You can change out the pulley/bearing on the belt tensioner. The idler pulley is another one that will eventually go too. There are lots of good ideas posted here, and lots of members to help out when you need it. When you get some pics of your truck post-em, we would like to see your ride. If you get some spare time check out the gallery of the member rides, lots of good lookin trucks in there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
As for your tranny queston, I'm at 243,000 on the original transmission. It's starting to slow down a little bit but still shifts pretty strong. I have a huge tranny cooler (I tow a lot) and use Amsoil ATF. I do run almost all highway miles though.

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
243,000 miles...man that 318 is getting it done. I hope mine makes it that far. Bog3y, congrats on your new truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.