DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 1st time dodge dakota owner a 1994,4x4 ,slt ,extracab,5.2,reguler street tyres,AArrgg.With a few problems.Someone mentioned that egr was dropped in 94 ? So would I have a 93 ? I have a egr valve or is it just Calif.? Did the key dance,O2 circiut,replaced with a NTK sensor. Anyone,how many miles does it takes to throw a new code? I've had to replace plugged brass 2 row 3.9l radiator ,no shroud. With an Alum core from RA. A 2 spd electric fan from a 97 Volvo 960.H20 pump makes grinding whinie noise,shaft wobblies,no leakie yet.Tensioner pulley was skreaching, A/C clutch bearing is grumbling.And NOW, lets not forget the Tranny ! No OD ,Fluid was blacker than a stack of black cats! 2 gal flush later,it shifts a leetle better. I would like to do the ARP stainless bolt/stud trick on the exhaust.Has anyone done this? I need a p/n or shank size ,grip length, thread length and pitch and simular with the studs. I.E. pg 22 of the 2019 ARP catalog ? Is the shifter index/blocker in the column like a ford or is it down in the transmission ? I.E the detents that keep us from going from "D" to "Race" ? Haynes don't show much,I'm looking for a service manual.Had to remove threaded snout from pump.This week is for new pump,clutch bearing,spin on filter for transmission ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow ok they took the egr valve out of the block in 95. But all models still have a egr which can be bypassed. Should throw a code within 5 miles. The O.D. problem is most likely a temperature safety sensor that located in the front passenger side of the intake manifold. There are two small sending units one for your gauge in dash. The other one tells the ecm when the engine is warm enough to shift into od. A little late with the reply but what the hell.

·
Registered
229 Posts
ACTUALLY, Whonose1, the EGR moved to the exhaust manifold with the 1992 Magnum rebuild. They dropped EGR with the JTEC swap in 1996; may have brought it back later (I specialize more in 1st Gen 2WD Dakotas than the later years or 4WD ... )

And the ECU sending unit has zilch, zero, nada to do with the gauge in the 1st Gen Dakotas. Matter of fact, the only gauge thatruns off the ECU at all 1st Gen is the Tach. Period. (The 1994-1996 also reads the VSS signal to the ECU, but the ECU doesn't drive it.)

RwP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well from what I have seen I have a 89, 94, 96 and a 98 dakota 4x4 and the all had a egr valve, some in the block and some externality. But every year had one. As far as the temperature sensor goes, excuse me, but I wasn't talking about the gauges. I was referring to the o.d. issue. If the temperature sensor for the transmission, which is located in the front passengers side of the intake manifold goes bad, or has a short, the tranny will never shift into o.d. pre 94 models had 2 sensors in that area of the intake, both were electronic temperature sending units. The sending unit that goes to the gauge has one wire, the other has 2. As far as his other instrumentation couldn't tell ya. What's your insight?

·
Registered
229 Posts
At random -

Service manual - Bishko Books is the authorized reproducer for FCA or whatever name Mother Mopar has today; they sell the disc for under $40. Summit Racing is a retail outlet for them. Can also quite often be found on eBay used in paper.

Shifting - Check the shift linkage bushings. Detents are in the transmission; but at 26 years old, the nylon bushings are starting to fail on all of these trucks. All but one is still available from Mopar; the one that's not, there's a workable alternative in the HELP! section, but no, I don't remember the part number offhand.

But if the fluid is that dark, the transmission is walking dead right now; I'd have to plan on a rebuild.

TransmissionBench.COM has a video on rebuilding a 46RE; the steps are pretty much the same, but exact parts are different from the 46RE and his 46RH.

The 1996 factory service manual doesn't show the EGR; doesn't show EGR DTCs; doesn't show it at all in the emissions chapter, unlike a 95 FSM. The parts list, alas, doesn't distinguish between years for 94-96 save "w/EGR" and "w/o EGR" for the exhaust and intake manifolds.

shrug With black fluid, I'd lay odds, again, on the transmission being walking dead.

RwP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts