DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I need some help on this one. I've got a 1999 Dodge RamVan 1500 with a 5.9L engine. No codes are popping up now, but I was getting the P0443 EVAP error. It didn't happen all the time, but it was happening. I just today replaced the Purge Solenoid to hopefully eliminate that from coming back, but only time will tell.

My current problem and the one I've been chasing for the past week is that first off the engine is running a little rough at idle. Not horrible, but you can feel it some. It starts right up and idles okay. You can drive it and it has good power. After it has warmed up about 10 to 20 minutes of driving, when you come to a light or stop, it starts running rougher and will die on occasion. It's also running a little hotter than I think it should (200 to 210). I have a cheap Scanner that tells me the temp. I also noticed that the temperature gauge on the dash reads about 8-10 degrees cooler than what the PCM is telling the scanner the temp is. The thermostat seems to be working properly as it appears to open up at around 195 and drops down and then creeps back up to around 200.

I've checked for intake leaks and found one hose from the PCV to the TB that needed replacing. I've replaced that one. I've put on the following other parts now trying to get this problem resolved (still have the problem though):

New IAC, O2 sensor (front only), the Purge Solenoid.

I also got under the van and check the Catalytic Converter. It seems to run about 500 degrees on the front side and nearly that on the back side of it. I read where that if it is a lot hotter in the front than the rear that it is probably clogged. Since it is about the same in as out, it sounds like it's not clogged (it might not be doing what it's suppose to do, but it must not be totally clogged).

I noticed that when this problem occurs that the IAC will suck in more air than normal. I suspect to keep the engine running. Also, the Short Team Fuel goes to -20 to -30 when this is happening.

Do you have any ideas what might be causing this poor running condition after it has warmed up? I'm just at a loss for what else to check and/or replace at this point. I know some of what I read suggested changing the TPS and the MAP Sensors, but I just don't want to keep throwing money at this problem without knowing more about how to isolate where my problem is.

So in summary seems to run okay when cold and after warmed up, but after driving for 10 to 20 minutes starts having problems.

Thanks in advance for your help and insight!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Moderators - Move to VAN Section Please

Hello,

I noticed that I posted this in the truck section of the forum and not the VAN section. Could one of the Moderators please move this to there?

I'm getting a lot of reads, but no advice and maybe it will do better there. I had intended to put it there in the first place, but I haven't posted in a long time and didn't even see that originally.

THANK YOU in advance!!!

:grin:nerd:grin

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I was having a very similar problem on my 01 1500 5.9, it turned out to be the crank position (aka flywheel position) sensor.
It's a hall effect sensor that would work fine when cold, but when it warmed up the sensor would read incorrectly.
Took me forever to figure it out.

It was a pain in the ass to get to on my truck, shouldn't be that bad with a removable engine cover on your van. it's on the passenger side bell housing, just down from the distributor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chizzle! I was looking into that the other day. It's a lot easier to get to on my van than your truck for sure. I was going to try a few other things first, then I'll probably look at swapping this out too. I was going to pull the TB first and do a real good cleaning on it. We'll see.

Thanks again for letting me know your experience. I appreciate it!!!
-Fred

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mopar,

I put on a new IAC and just recently pulled the TB off and did a full cleaning of it. It's running a little better, but am still having the stumbling of the engine after it warms up. It only does it for a few seconds. It's not dying now, but feels like it's going to. Just hate to throw more parts at this problem. I'm going to see if I can find any other issues this weekend.

Regarding the cover, this is a van so the cover we are talking about is a doghouse cover were you can access the back of the engine from inside my van. It makes changing out many parts much easier (not as easy in the front as trucks though).

Thanks again for the input. Still hoping for a resolution to this ongoing problem!

-Fred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts