Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

I apoligize in advance if this has been discussed to death already...

Can someone confirm for me that the rear differential in the 1999 2WD 1500 (3.55) takes 80W-90 gear oil? That's what the repair manual I have says, but it's a 2001 edition repair manual. It also says something about axles intended for heavy duty use or trailer towing (which is all I do with the truck) should use 75W-140 synthetic oil. Is there any way besides jacking up the rear end and spinning the tires to tell if I have a limited slip differential? Or, should I just do what the dealership told me and just put the LSD additive in there anyway. Is there any harm in putting the LSD additive in there if I don't have a limited slip differential? By the way, the truck has 100k miles on it, in case that matters...

Also, has anyone ever had oil leakage around that rubber stopper that goes in the fill hole? Mine has started leaking, and boy does that stuff smell bad. One guy I was next to thought my Ram was running on natural gas because of the odor of the diff fluid leaking through the stopper.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My manual says sae 90w-gl-5,Most of the late models are limitedslip i always use the lsd additve better than that dodge whine,Get a new rubber plug from dodge cheap also i always use mopar LSD 15 dollars a bottle

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
u tow i would use synthetic . look under the hood by the grill for a sticker it will tell u if u have a lsd in 98 they called it anti-spin diff . the diff cover will have a tag attached to a bolt to sometimes thats not there . give service at your local stealership your vin and they can tell ya . hope this help's

·
Registered
827 Posts
put a jack under the diff................put the truck in neatral.........spin the rear tires.............if they both spin the same way, you've got lsd..........if they go opposite ways, you've got an open diff..............

·
Registered
21 Posts
According to my build sheet, I have the "Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle"- does the LD mean limited slip or is it the open differential?

I didn't have this information earlier this summer, and I replaced the fluid with Valvoline 80W90.

Is there any problems if I have a limited slip without adding the friction modifier?

·
Registered
827 Posts
if your fluid didden't have the additive in it already, just add some..................assuming by now that you've got a lsd..............all it does is help the clutch packs............without it you get binding or grabbing on tight turns........with the additive you don't..........if you've got an open diff it won't hurt anything just a waste or 7 dollars

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found the answer to my question, "LD" means "light duty" and not limited-slip. So it appears I have a regular open differential- so no modifier is required.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just serviced mine and it called for a synthetic 75 90. Mines a 99' sport as well but 2wd. I can't remember what gear ratio I have but it is non LS.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i did both my front and rear and used 80w90 synthetic. on your build sheet it would say probably were it list the gear ratio, 3.55 antispin, or something along those lines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.