DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need help. i have a 99 durango that keeps stalling, fuel pump shuts down and engine stalls,some times it will start right back up, but some times it wont and when it wont the gauges all read zero and the odometer reads no 6u5, or no buz how you read it. the fuel pump relay and shut down relay get real hot. i swapped the relays to no help, could this be the ecm? i will connect the scanner today to see if i can find any thing out. any ideas will help thanks.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
mine was shut'n down also. I don't recall the "no bus"..... I changed out my IAC and it fixed the problem right up. Maybe it's just that simple for you. The IAC is on the back of the throttle body. Held in with 2 torx screws

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see my notes underpower train i have repaired the d,

·
Registered
11 Posts
i had that problem and my turned out to be a pcm problem showed the no bus code and all my gages would shut down does it do it on a hot day.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Search on NO BUS. There have been a few posts but the answer has varied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
May be crankshaft sensor

I had a similar problem with my 98 Durange 5.2L. It would start okay but you
would be driving down the road and it would die. Sometimes it would start
right up after that - sometimes you had to wait a minute or two.

In my case it turned out to be a faulty crankshaft sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Help! Anyone has any ideas? I'm having exact symptoms as what 'mule256' described in post #1. The first time I took it to the dealership last week, they test drove it for two days, but couldn't find anything wrong. At that time the mileage was about 79,800 miles. I got the car back, then on Monday 4th of July, it stalled three times in one day w/ same symptoms. I took it back to the dealership on Wednesday July 6th, they test drove it for two days, but still have not found anything wrong and they have not been able to get it stall. The mileage now has gone up to 80,100 miles. My car is still at the dealership for the 3rd day of them testing it. They are leaning toward a possible problem w/ PCM (whatever it is) but will not do anything unil they're able to get my car to stall right before them. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Durango is 1999, 5.9 liter.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The PCM is the Powetrain Control Module (the main computer) It is possible that it is the problem. There are a number of posts for no bus on various Dodge forums including here. Many of the corrections are bad connections in various places and bad computers. There is no one single solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Neil for your explanation and insight. I'm just waiting to hear back from the dealership this afternoon, hopefully they find a culprit...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, talked to the dealership this afternoon, I'll have to go pick up my D, they didn't fix anything as they said they couldn't recreate the problem to make it stall. But I'm sure when I start driving it, it's going to stall on me. Have no confidence in this particular dealership at all (Hopkins Dodge, MN).

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
ck, here's some info, I had a T+C minivan that stalled alot, throttle body cleaning cured it (70kmi) and greatly increased power.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had a similar problem once... turns out the PCM Ground wire was loose...(This is located close to the PCM ad is connected soomewhere on the wheel well from inside the engine compartment)

·
Registered
11 Posts
turn your truck on and go to the computer and wiggle the harnesses, do it til it shuts down. When the truck shuts down go inside the truck and look at your odo if it show no bus you have a computer problem, and if you get it to do it take it to the dealership and show them how to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have you repaired the d yet, did the dash read nobus. this means the computer is not reading the all needed componets to run the engine. the pcm ( computer ) has updated and is not cheap, i will ck back to see if you have repaired this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All. The sarga continues... :(

Symptoms: the D stalls while driving (speed up or taking foot off gas) or sits idle at a red light. All gauges (battery, cooling system, fuel) are at zero when the D won't restart. Odometer first shows flashing mileage, then changes to flashing "no bus".

Thanks for all the reponses from mule256, DMAN, coliseum, B1G BLEU, Neil, j4ne, & rockadaous (sorry if I left anyone out). It's still not fixed. The dealer is still insisting that they need to be able to get the car to die in their shop in order for them to do anything to it. They are leaning toward PCM or other computer hardware/component controlling input/output. As I said in my previous post #11, I went and picked up the D on Saturday 7/9/05 (that was the second time it was in their shop but they couldn't recreate the problem).

On Sunday 7/10/05, I drove it and it died on me three times. So I took a day off from work, on Monday 7/11/05, just to drive it around their shop, hoping I could get it to stall near there so they could see the problem. I finally got it to stall about a quarter miles from them, and I called them to report the problem, but they wouldn't come to look at it there. However, they did dispatch a tow truck over but it would take about 2 hrs before it could get to where I was. After about 30-45 minutes wait, then my D started up again. I drove to the dealer but decided not to leave it there. I did take it back to the dealer this morning (Wednesday 7/13/05) and left it there for them to try to recreate the problem.

I just received a call from them this afternoon saying that they finally were able to get it to stall while they had it out for a test drive, unfortunately they couldn't get diagnostic tools out there in time as they were able to start it up again. They are going to try to get it to stall again tomorrow. I'll post an update again as soon as I hear back from them. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Problem is PCM. I had the problem, replaced the PCM no further issues. It has a broken spot on the board that loses contact when it gets hot. It cools and contact is restored. BTW it was covered by teh warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ck1 i feel your pain. any tech that goes on a road test for a driveabilty problem with out a obdII scan tool to scan the systems is not worth paying. this is the reason u took the d to the dealer, because they are the experts, sorry to vent about the dealer but get your money back for that trip. when the d does stall all gauges go to zero and the odom does flash the scan tools will not read any data from the pcm. the scan tool will act just like the ing switch is off and will state no data. the pcm is bolted to the passenger inside fender three bolts and remove the three harnesses. when mine went bab we cked all the wires with a ohm meter to make sure the wires to the pins were not broken.all wires teated good. when the d did start the obdII scan tool could read all data till the d stalled then the gauges would go to zero and the odom would flash 3 times and read no bus. so i ordered a pcm and installed and had the dealer flash the pcm with the correct vin# to get the anti lock and brake light to go out. the d can still be driven to the dealer to have it flashed this will aviod a tow bill. the pcm is easy to change out the only problem is, it is about 400.00 plus another 80.00 or so to have it flashed. please advise us how it goes. hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks mule256 and dagray1 for your comments.

The dealer called me this afternoon, they said they were able to duplicate the problem again today, but they could not get the diagnostic tools out in time as they were able to get it to start again. I really don't understand why they weren't prepared to test it immediately when it stalls. I wonder if this is really a normal way of troubleshooting a car problem. Does anyone know how other dealers perform a diagnosis regarding this particular type of problem?

They'll try to duplicate the problem again tomorrow.

BTW, I told them about this forum which contains a lot of testimonies about the PCM as the culprit, but they would not replace it until...(I don't know what/when/why...?) I just need to know an easy way to show/tell them that PCM is the cause of the problem. Or maybe I should ask them to prove to me that the problem is not with the PCM (if they think it's something else)...?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ck1, i have worked for dealers now for 21 years, this is not normal to do a road test with out a scanner. one reason they did not take it is the person that roadtested the d was not a tech and did not know how to use it. i would ask them this if they are going to bill you for this waisted time. if they are not sure it is the pcm then ask if they have tested things like the crank sensor,throttle position sensor,idle air control motor with a volt ohm meter, if not ask why. if they start replaceing parts ask that you be showen why they are bad so you know why they are replaced. one last thing when the d stalls the pcm plays dead when the odometer reads no bus it will not tranfer data to the scanner. this is what i found when i hooked it to my d, no data till it sat for a while then it would start and every thing was normal till it stalled again. good luck hope this helps,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.