Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am a (brand) new member, thanks for the help in advance. I am planning to replace a driver side caliper on my wife's 99 Grand Caravan, the vehicle has ABS. I am concerned that when I do this, and attempt to bleed the system, that I may somehow confuse the ABS system, and end up with a problem. I have read that if I pump the brake pedal 50-100 times with the key off before I remove the old caliper that I should be OK. I am planning to gravity bleed the new caliper after installing, any thoughts about any of this? (I really can't afford to take the vehicle to the dealer). Email me at

Jay

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Just as long as you don't allow air to get into the system you should be okay. In other words don't let the master cylinder go dry when you have the brake hose disconnected...just keep your eye on it while your replacing the caliper.

Gravity bleeding won't get all the air out of the new caliper. Have a helper push the brake pedal down while you operate the bleeder screw....just make sure that the helper doesn't release the brake pedal before you close the bleeder screw. Just be sure to keep your eye on the fluid level while your doing it.

This is an arguable point, but I've always recommended that calipers should be replaced in pairs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.