DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
answering the question of how difficult the job is is a tough one to answer; it very much depends on your experience and your confidence level

what I can say is that the job is not overly difficult for the average shade tree mechanic if you take your time and follow the directions in the service bulletin that is attached to this thread by a previous responder or the directions in your haynes or chiltons manual.

a word of caution - be careful with the cap screws that secure the thermostat housing to intake manifold; corrosion can cause them to seize and then break off if you get too enthusiastic in trying to break them loose

if they seem hard to remove, I might suggest that you wait until you get the intake manifold off and then GENTLY heat the thermostat housing area with a heat gun before trying again to remove the cap screws.

if they do break off, take the manifold to a competent welding/automotive machine shop who can get out the remains of the cap screw and then repair the threads

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
water pump for 98 dodge grand caravan

i need to find out if the motor mount needs to come off or moved out of the way and the harmonic balancer..the haynes manual states it does...please email me ...Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
yes and yes - but do not be dismayed; neither are that difficult

an air or electric impact driver (YOU MUST USE IMPACT SOCKETS) to remove the damper makes life a heck of a lot easier - you can rent the electric ones and a pulley removing kit is also needed - you can rent those too or sometimes the larger chains of auto parts stores will lloan them

the right side motor mount must be removed as well I put some blocks of wood under the oil pan to keep the engine in place while I worked on it

Another caution; there are 3 or 4 plastic pieces that make up the timing belt cover and a ollection of cap screws that are of varying lengths and it is most imprtatnt that they be put back in the correct holes. do yourself a favour and make up a diagram of the holes on a pieces of carborad and put the capscrews throught the cardboard template as you take them out; in this way there is no mistake about where they go when you re-assemble

the largest of the timing belt cover pieces is fiddly to get out and to put back.

take your time and be methodical and you will have no trouble doing the job

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.