DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an oil leak that appears to be dripping from just above the transmission pan on the front-right corner. Could this be coming from the rear main seal? If so, what tools would I need to do it myself and how difficult would it be? How expensive would it be to have a professional do the job? This is the only vehicle my roommates and I have right now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How much are you losing? If it's just a spot or two under the truck and you don't have to add more than a quart between oil changes I wouldn't worry about it.
If you don't like the oil spot on the ground slide an old cookie sheet under it so it catches the drips.
What color is the oil dripping off? is it dark like on the engine oil dipstick or red like on the transmission dip stick.
This will tell you more about where it comes from.
Changing the transmission oil pan gasket is easy. Might as well change the filter as well. It should be done occasionally anyway.
Changing the engine oil pan gaskets is a bit harder. You need to lft the engine to get clearance to get the bolts out and the pan down out. Once that's done changing the rear seal isn't to hard. You need to remove the rear main bearing cap and loosen the others a bit . This lets the crank drop a bit to more easily remove the upper half of the seal.
You then use a non marring tool to push up on one end of seal so it slides down out on the other end. Once you get it pushed partly out you can use needle nose pliers to grip the end and pull it out.
Lube the new half with a bit of oil then slide it in place.
On the bearing cap you just pop the old out then pop the new in. A bit of RTV in a couple places and reinstall the cap and torque to spec and torque the ones you loosened to spec.
A new gasket for the pan and a few more dabs of RTV and install the pan. Lower engine and your done.
If you have a repair manual it will explain these procedures much better.
Leo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts