Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please HELP!!
I have a 1998 Ram 1500 4X4 318, I have changed plugs, wires (twice) also cap, rotor, crankshaft positioning sensor, camshaft positioning sensor, ingn coil, hollowed out cat, temp sensor, fuel pressure stays at 48 lbs no change, looses all power when heat up and runs like crap. Is giving multi miss-fires. Any suggestions?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Gonna move this to 2nd Gen. section....more visibility.

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
What brand of plug are you running? These trucks don't like the "gimmick" plugs or platinums. NGK - Autolite - Champion...or some other plain-jane old-school plug is what works best.

If that's already taken care of, I'd try an application of Seafoam or Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. A clean combustion chamber will help lessen detonation and mis-fires.

Also, how are you O2 sensors? I replaced mine when I had the exhaust put on and they cleared up a multitude of problems (throwing all kind of codes, running like $hit). Could also have something to do with the lack of a cat - like w0rm said.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are using Champion Plugs. This problems started before we hollowed out the Cat (someone said we had a plugged cat and that was causing the problem after hollowing out the cat all stayed the same)I did not think a o2 would cause multi missfires? but will it?

·
Registered
444 Posts
O2 sensors correct the fuel mixture. Incorrect fuel mixture will cause it to misfire. I would try your old ign coil to see if that's the problem too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sense, but, why does it run great when cold(no misfire) after the truck come to temp thats when all this starts multi missfires and wants to die. seems like its running out of gas? Fuel pressure tester holds at 49 lbs weather running good or bad no changes at all?

·
Registered
444 Posts
The front o2 sensor is not self heated, that being the case, it needs the heat from the exhaust before it can start functioning properly. When it's heated, the computer runs in "closed loop" operation, and starts taken input from the o2 sensor.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Hmmmm...maybe a bad coolant temp. sensor? There are two sensors, one for the gauge and one for the PCM. When the engine is cold, the sensor tells the PCM to deliver a richer mixture and when the engine is warm, the sensor tells the PCM to lean up the mixture. A sensor who's parameters are out of whack would cause a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have changed the front o2 sensor, as of now we seem to be doing good. We'll let you know Thanks for all the help

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,659 Posts
if you are throwing a code, for the lack of cat. go see the fix that i posted in the tips and tricks section at the bottom of 2gen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is my up date - To all that said it was the 02 sensor you were right! The first of the two o2 sensors seems to have had the top ripped off when we hollowed out the cat. (What a expensive lesson to learn) now we have a cylinder 4 missfire? We will now check the new plugs and wires again. Thanks for everyones help you all are great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.