DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
CWR
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 97 Grand Caravan with the 3.3 engine and 4 speed auto trans. I just purchased a 1996 Jayco popup camper 13 foot shut and with ends open its 27 feet. Im about to put on the largest trans cooler I can buy (getting it tomorrow) to help with cooling the trnas while towing. Here is my question:
I was going to put my van in the garage and have the trans back flushed and new trans oil put in. But was told if I did that I would be taking a chance on some of the gunk getting around all the springs and ball bearing in my trans and it would do more harm than anything else. Can someone tell me how hard it would be for me to drop the trans pan and is there a trans filter inside I can replace myself, then put it all back together and fill the trans with new oil. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
CWRDodge

·
Registered
194 Posts
Easy job to remove and replace the fluid/pan. NAPA has a filter, pan gasket, o-ring kit. Sorry I don't have the part number. There is an o-ring involved which must be replaced. Pan bolts with the gasket are torqued to 140 inch pounds, not the 170ip the manual calls for. 170ip is for the rtv and will distort the cork/rubber gasket.
You will need to jack the van up and put it on jack stands. A really large catch pan is needed as fluid always gushes out and it can be a mess. ATF+4 is the required fluid. DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE. Drive it a few thousand miles and replace the fluid again and you will have exchanged about all of the fluid. You don't need to replace the filter on the second change. If you install a drain into the pan, it will make this job much easier from then on. Good luck on your project.

·
CWR
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi webbee, I tell you one thing I sure am glad we have a nice Dodge forum like this one. Can you imagine how many vehicles would be in the junk yards if there weren't any forums like this for folks to help one another out. I sure do appreciate your help webbee, I have heard that these caravans have week transmissions and now that I have a camper I sure dont want to ruin mine. Again webbe thanks and hope you have a good day.
CWRDodge

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.