DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Dodge B 3500 Maxivan High top
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1997 Dodge B3500 with the 5.2 starts and runs great cold and has run great for years but one day about a week ago once at running temp it dies and it is a real bitch to get restarted. It spits sputters and belches smoke and stumbles back to running as long as I keep my foot on the gas enough. I can smell gas when it restarts. If and when it idles once warm you put it in gear and it dies instantly. I replaced the usual culprits the TPS, IAC, I swapped relays because online a guy said if the relay is bad the IAC may not work or not work right and his relay swap solved his problem. The parts swapped seem to make it run better cold but once warm it is a real nightmare. I took my van to Advance and scanned it but no codes found Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
303 Posts
If the check engine light does NOT cycle through its self test with the key on then it’s the computer.

It should light for a few seconds in ON position before you go to start. No light no computer.

Famous for working cold not hot.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like maybe the electronic coolant temp sensor is bad. As long as it’s reading within its temp range it won’t throw a code but if it’s lying to the ecm reading cold when the engine is actually hot you’ll have an extreme rich condition. This will cause stalling and hard or no start.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out your plugs and wires when was the last time you did a tune up?
I had a similar problem just a few weeks ago. My 1500 with a 5.2 would run fine until it was up to temp then it would sputter and miss and die. Turned out it was my plugs. The gap was borderline but once at temp the plugs were getting blown out. This resulted in pretty rough running and gas smell with thick smoke at restart. If I got it started and kept my foot in it the van would run but stumble and bumble the whole way. I did a complete tune up (cap, rotor, coil, wires, plugs, and air filter) that fixed the problem for me. She runs like a champ now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts