DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 dakota with the 3.9. I just bought a 1973 360 engine and 727 transmission. What all will i have to do to make this swap happen? Any help is appreciated this will be my 1st swap ever.

·
Banned
239 Posts
New motor mounts will have to be made.

You'll have to do something for the instrument cluster.

You'll have to rewire the engine bay to get rid of the JTEC.

Any big reason why you didn't search up a 1997 or so 5.9/360 and the 46RE (727 based OD transmission)?

RwP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New motor mounts will have to be made.

You'll have to do something for the instrument cluster.

You'll have to rewire the engine bay to get rid of the JTEC.

Any big reason why you didn't search up a 1997 or so 5.9/360 and the 46RE (727 based OD transmission)?

RwP
Jtec?

·
Banned
239 Posts
Because it is most likely spam, we got a big rush of stupid all at once about 4hrs ago.
Yah, we keep getting that crap at the VS run TCCoA.COM forum I'm a moderator on.

We didn't before they screwed up the board with the current software, which they keep "upgrading" but not fixing the stuff that made TCCoA a real resource (no tech articles, no gallery, it took them a year to get links in the old messages working right ... VS is not on my list of "quality" software purveyors.)

RwP

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a 1997 dakota with the 3.9. I just bought a 1973 360 engine and 727 transmission. What all will i have to do to make this swap happen? Any help is appreciated this will be my 1st swap ever.
If you want 1973 technology, buy a 1973 truck. Seriously. None of your instruments will work, they're servo-driven by the PCM. You'll need to build a custom dash and rewire the truck. Good luck getting the IPM to work without a PCM or body controller. Good luck getting a PCM/body controller to work without expected inputs.
It boggles my mind that people think they can tackle "projects" like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want 1973 technology, buy a 1973 truck. Seriously. None of your instruments will work, they're servo-driven by the PCM. You'll need to build a custom dash and rewire the truck. Good luck getting the IPM to work without a PCM or body controller. Good luck getting a PCM/body controller to work without expected inputs.
It boggles my mind that people think they can tackle "projects" like this.
Yea i decided not to do it now. Too much involved and dont want to lose my guages. So im gonna just fix my 3.9. Gonna put a timing chain in it. Does anyone know if i have to buy a new timing cover or can i use my old one?

·
Registered
24 Posts
For most work a repair manual is your friend. I buy one for any vehicle I own.
I have quite a stack of manuals for vehicles I no longer have.
About the only thing they recommend you pull the engine for is to replace a crank. Everything else can be done with the engine i the vehicle.
Factory books are more expensive but often only cover one year opr model. Books like Hayne's cover several years and models, they cost much less too.
Leo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts