DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Caravan I am fixing up. The only problem I have left before I can call this a driver is with the transmission. All forward gears seem to work perfectly fine. The problem is with Reverse. When I put it in reverse, it seems as though the transmission does not engage. I found that if I rev the engine to about 3000 rpm, the tranny drops it in reverse (with a big thunk). Once it's then in reverse, things seem great (it drives backwards as expected).

It sure seems likely to be an internal problem with the transmission. I don't mind yanking this to get to the inside. Anyone have any ideas on my problem? Anyone ever get their hands inside these transmissions?

Thanks!
LeeZilla

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Is it the 3-speed or 4-speed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not entirely sure, I believe it's the 3 speed. 3.0L, and is the SE model. The gear indicator has a D without the circle around it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
PRD21 = 3 speed
PRD3L = 4 speed

It may be that you are low on fluid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then it's for sure the 3 speed. After rolling through quite a few threads, it seems that these thransmissions (both 3 and 4 speed) are a bit touchy to the filter and fluid. Touchy as compared to, say, my Chevy T-400 that went without a fluid/filter change for 150k (before I sold that gas guzzler). I figure that is probably my starting point, since it needs it regardless of anything else.

I've also noticed some general talk about the solenoid pack. Is that specific to the 4 speed (a604, right?) or does the 3 speed have one (42TE?) that should be examined?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.